Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

what OIL should I be using?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2012, 02:19 PM

Received 68 Likes on 61 Posts

Default what OIL should I be using?

I have an 08 FX4 Screw with 62k on the odometer. I live in Nashville TN so severe cold weather is NOT an issue. I am hearing the slight "knock" sometimes when the truck is running. it isn't often but it has me concerned. should I be using the recommended 5W-20 that FORD recommends.... I have made some performance upgrades, BullyDog GT, CAI, dual exhaust and throttle body spacer. I run the Performance setup on the Bully Dog GT and run Premium gas. Do I need to make the switch to Synthetic? Synthetic Blend? go to 5W-30 etc....I love my truck very much and want to make it last a lifetime. I don't just want opinions here guys I need cold hard scientific facts.

any help and advice would be great, pre-thanks for help
Old 12-19-2012, 03:00 PM

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Couple of threads on this, just search the forum for it, some of the replies have some pretty good data in them.

But to answer your question, everyone on here has their opinion, and you will come nowhere close to a consensus on the "right" oil. These engines make noise, they all have a bit of a tick to them, as long as it isn't a rattling sound, or idling like a powerstroke deisel.......you're fine. And that being the case, if it aint' broke, don't fix it!

And don't add sh to the oil to try to make it not tick......you'll just make your truck TICKed off!
Old 12-19-2012, 03:45 PM
12 Second Truck

Received 131 Likes on 106 Posts

Run the 5w20 only in your 5.4. Dino, semi syn, or fully syn and brand are up to you. Everyone has an opinion on this but regardless these engines were built and designed to run on 5w20.

Now for the opinion, I choose fully syn Mobil 1 5w20 because I drive the **** outta my truck and I'm pushing it for more than double the power it was intended to make. It's all I've ever run in anything since I was a teen and built my first small race engine. But to cement my decision for this truck I was instructed by my tuner Mike Troyer to use the Mobil 1 5w20 fully syn and not to switch to the 5w30. So far everything he has given me advice or instruction on has paid off and done exactly as he said it would. From power to chassis setup and tuning.
The following users liked this post:
bobkyle2 (12-20-2012)
Old 12-19-2012, 10:38 PM

Received 165 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by BIGDAWG78
Do I need to make the switch to Synthetic? Synthetic Blend? go to 5W-30 etc....I love my truck very much and want to make it last a lifetime. I don't just want opinions here guys I need cold hard scientific facts.

any help and advice would be great, pre-thanks for help
Stay with Xw20 or Xw30. Ford recommends 20 or 30 in other countries for this motor with the favor going to 20. The switch to synthetic is your choice. The only real world advantage is longer oil change intervals in the average application. If you're like Blown, then you need an oil that can handle shear and fuel dilution as well, and most any Group III+ oil will do so. Some conventionals have Group III oils in them when base stocks are backed up. I can go into used oil analysis if you like and you will be able to see the condition of the oil and the motor. Any more questions just ask.
The following users liked this post:
bobkyle2 (12-20-2012)
Old 12-20-2012, 06:17 AM
Uberhater,Troll,Whatever

Received 110 Likes on 49 Posts

Have fun...

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/motor-oil-101/

Quick Reply: what OIL should I be using?