Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

What to look for when buying a used F150

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2008, 06:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What to look for when buying a used F150

Hello, I don't currently own a F series but just about. I have found a 2004 F150 Lariat with 107,XXX miles, and a 2004 with 60,XXX. the lariat is loaded, and the other one isn't stripped down, but doesnt have to many options. both are priced under 10,000. I run a small scale lawn business and will need to tow often. If you could please provide me with any information on the history with F150's which my knowledge of is pretty grim, being a GM driver(not trying to create any haters). Are there any problems with these trucks at high mileage? transmission, electrical, etc. Is there anything i should look out for? I would really appreciate all the information you can give, as I would love to be an F150 owner. Ive always loved the trucks..

Last edited by iTruck; 10-28-2008 at 06:30 PM.
Old 10-28-2008, 07:06 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

well do you value comfort over low mileage? personally i dont see the need of the lariat i have an xlt which is a medium grade trim level. what options do each of the trucks have? personally i would go for the lower mileage truck just less likely to have any normal wear and tear problems. just be ver observant check the same stuff that you would when buying any used vehicle. if your going to be towing often you might want the 5.4 with a towing package. just make sure you ask yourself what you want and what you need, sometimes what you want and what you really need are completly different.
Old 10-28-2008, 09:51 PM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Hey iTruck, welcome to the forum. Most info here will be biased of course. Been in golf industry since Ford sold Ford Aerospace in 1991. Have never seen any distributor of equipment, Toro, John Deere, Jacobsen deliver any equipment that wasn't pulled by a Ford. Agreed, not a stellar recomendation, but hey man these guys are hauling more than you are. In my neighborhood with the landscapers doing the lawns , its all Fords. There are no other makes. Fords will do the do in the long run. Isn't that what you are looking for? Buy the truck for the job, not the fancy frills, it don't pay the bills. Good luck. Hope to hear from you again.
Old 10-28-2008, 10:07 PM
FULL BLOODED AMERICAN!!!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just want to say that your name made me laugh....lol
Old 10-29-2008, 07:27 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

Being that the truck will be used to tow a trailer for your business, I'd go with the 60K truck for two reasons. One, being as how you will be doing lawn maintenance, the "frills" options are not needed; they will only get "lost" in the fact that this will be a work truck. Second, you don't want the hassle of a potential breakdown with the truck, especially if it's your livelyhood.

Can I ask a perhaps personal question? Why don't you lease a new truck? Seeing as how you have a business, and this truck will be used as such, you have a "golden tax break" by being able to write off the cost of the truck. Talk to a tax advisor about this one. The cost of a new truck is at the lowest they have been in years. I realize leasing has limits on mileage, but you may be able to write these additional charges off too. I have read in a recent newspaper that Chrysler has discontinued leasing; they too are low on money to finance. Times are tough. Sigh....
In any event, my vote goes towards the lower optioned, lower mileage truck as the wise choice for your new work truck.
Old 10-29-2008, 07:59 AM
NGM
Resident A-hole

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Lease FTL on a work truck, you will hit the allotted mileage too fast and get hit with the overmileage charges, You are basically renting a vehicle.. That sucks... He can write off the cost of the truck no matter whichone he gets because its for his business. Ford is offering 72 months zero interest right now if I am not mistaken. Might want to think about maybe a new truck without all the frills it will not be much over your 10k you are looking at now, since its a work truck. Just my .02
Old 10-29-2008, 11:39 AM

Thanks everyone for your input. I know it seemed odd that I was looking at a lariat as a work truck, but the only reason for that, which I forgot to mention, was that this vehicle will also be my daily driver also, to avoid the hassle of 2 vehicles. This is the reason why I don't believe leasing would really work as I would be putting a ton of miles on it and probably go over..Looking at the big picture the lower mileage truck would definently be the safer option.. Or maybe I could not be so cheap and fork out some money for a well equipped low mileage f150 :p

Last edited by iTruck; 10-29-2008 at 11:41 AM.
Old 10-29-2008, 07:40 PM

Does either truck have any maintenance records? That would be a big question considering that you will be doing some towing. You will want to drive and see how they shift, look under the hood and see if there are any decals showing that the trans. fluid has been changed. Have the sparkplugs been changed in the lariat cause that was due at 100k. With the lower miles of the Xlt, it would probably be your better bet but then again, when buying used, you don't know who owned it and how they treated the vehicle. Check the titles!
I have an 04 lariat myself with 65k and I love it. I haul cars and have never had it in the shop. Good luck and welcome to the site!

Quick Reply: What to look for when buying a used F150