Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

what is illegal and legal? any cops?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2011, 12:44 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default what is illegal and legal? any cops?

These are some dumb questions but i dont want to get them wrong or get in trouble! Hah
1. Where can i off road and where cant i?
2. I know it is illegal to have red lights in the front of your car vut what about red rock crawler lights in my front wheel wells?
I live in Florida if that helps. Also anything i should know that is related to those questions. Thanks guys
Old 08-17-2011, 01:03 PM
Now im a Ford Girl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Click Here look around numbers 316.216 through 316.242
that's the lighting statute laws for vehicles for the state of Florida, if no cop comes in the answer your question.

As for the off roading i think it can be on your private property, or events like mudfest and what not. If I'm not mistaken if you have a registered vehicle you can go into the everglades. You are given a permit to off road in there, with out it you will be given a ticket and fined. All of this is off the top of my head so don't take my word as law. This might give you a good base for you to research.

I dont know where you are located, I'm in Miami so i can only speak for what is around me.
Old 08-17-2011, 02:18 PM
2015 F-150 King Ranch 4x4

Received 102 Likes on 72 Posts

You can trail ride in the Ocala National Forest...
Old 08-17-2011, 06:26 PM

Just come up to Alaska, were u can trail ride just about anywhere your truck can handle. lol
Old 08-17-2011, 11:41 PM

Received 111 Likes on 59 Posts

You can have red lights in your wheel wells for off roading, but you will get pulled over if you have them on while on the streets.
Old 08-18-2011, 08:03 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Okay i also heard from someone else that it is legal aslong as its the red glow and you cant see the bulbs? Like Im pretty sure your allowed to have neon red underglow but you cant see the red of the bulb? Is this true?
Old 08-18-2011, 08:59 AM
Problem Solver

Received 358 Likes on 262 Posts

Basically any eye catching color is likely to draw unwanted attention from cops. Reds and blues will always get you on their s*** list, no matter what. Is it technically legal if you can't see the bulb? Yes in some states, but then they have a reason to stop you, all they have to say is that they saw it "strobeing" and that's probable cause. True or not, a judge will always rule in favor of the officer.

If you use them on any public road it's just not a good idea. If you will use them offroad exclusively then you can do whatever you want, you can have any light in any color and they can't do anything as long as you're NOT on the road or using them in another illegal manor. Just use common sense.
Old 08-18-2011, 09:13 AM
Troll Hater

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

In michigan, no glowing underneath at all.
Can't see red from the front.
Can't see white from the back.
Off road, what ever lights you like, it don't matter.
I do light off roading.
2 tracks in the Manistee National Forest work for me.
(need a license plate)
Sometimes to the dunes.
(need a ORV sticker)
Sometimes to private function or park.
(need $$ or beer)
Google off road clubs in your area.
Will be much more help than here.
Old 08-18-2011, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by Forrest150
1. Where can i off road and where cant i?
Well, general rule of thumb, if you own the property, you can pretty much do what you want there. If you don't own the property, and you don't have permission, it's considered trespassing and the owner of the property could press charges for the amount of damage done. Considering in FL, most off roading it "mudding", tearing up the natural landscape can be estimated to bring it back to its former state and be used as the cost of the damage. There are plenty of places in central flordia that you can buy rights to access and do what you want. I own an acre in a place called suburban estates, near Halopaw Fl. Having a deed gets your 4 keys to the gate, which gives access to roughly 20K acres of mudding, trail riding, hunting, and camping. There's also River Ranch down by Lake Whales.

Other spots for mudding, Perry Florida- there's a mud bog up there. Triple Canopy Ranch - triplecanopyranch.com. Red Neck Yacht Club - down south. Croom over by tampa, Ocala National Forest....
Old 08-18-2011, 08:31 PM

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Forrest150
Okay i also heard from someone else that it is legal aslong as its the red glow and you cant see the bulbs? Like Im pretty sure your allowed to have neon red underglow but you cant see the red of the bulb? Is this true?
Ok, I'm not 100% sure as far as the law goes, but a buddy of mine had blue underglow, had it on parked at a restaurant, and a cop told him it was illegal, period. He also said red was illegal, but some cops around here are real As far as I'm concerned, as long as you're offroading, colors won't matter, just be sure to turn them off when going down the road.

Quick Reply: what is illegal and legal? any cops?