Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

what happens if my truck was bumped into reverse at 45mph

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2008, 01:11 PM
WTPA

Received 18 Likes on 3 Posts

Default what happens if my truck was bumped into reverse at 45mph

i have a 2004 2door bench seat f150. the other day me and 2 friends were driving down the street and i had some stuff in the back i asked him to look back to make sure nothing was flying away. he was sitting in the middle. when he looked back his leg hit the shifter into reverse at 45mph.. the truck stalled and coasted, i immediately put it into neutral, turned it back on, then back to drive and kept going...nothing seems wrong so far??....it was only in reverse for maybe 2-3 sec.. should i have anything to worry about??

i should have got a 4 door...lol
Old 10-10-2008, 01:31 PM
Notorious Thread Editor

Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts

Dude...
If you didnt hear alot of loud clunking your probably ok. You could check your fluid to make sure it is clear.

Maybe a more mechanically inclined member could give you more detailed help.....
Old 10-10-2008, 01:44 PM
WTPA

Ok kewl... does this truck have a fail safe for reverse?

I just noticed your in Vegas?? .. I'm on Tropicana and Pecos..
Old 10-10-2008, 01:47 PM
WTPA

edit
Old 10-10-2008, 02:59 PM
Notorious Thread Editor

Originally Posted by aquatikz

Dunno...was trying to plug another member to jump in.

Sweet! More vegas here.....Alexander and 215 here.
Old 10-11-2008, 05:09 AM
Fox

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by aquatikz

I love the Thai Room and Dive bar both on that corner... I'm near Racetrack/ Warm Springs....
Old 10-11-2008, 07:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i had a similar thing happen to me in my '03 150. I was driving from FL to NC with a few of my friends, doing about 80, when my middle seat passenger decided to fall asleep and his knee hit the dash selector and shifted my truck into 4wd. It engaged too, i felt the truck bog down and it scared the s@#t out of me. I just coasted onto the shoulder and put it back in 2wd, then pulled off in the grass and tried 4hi and 4lo to see what had been destoyed. There were no clunks or bangs, even when it got engaged at 80mph. After we got to hatteras i spent a lot of time in 4wd on the beach, never with any problems. when i got home i checked my T-case and front axle oil for metal shavings, none found. I have no idea why my tranny, front axle and t-case didn't just explode and fall onto the interstate. Built ford tough i guess??!!
Old 10-11-2008, 09:19 AM
Notorious Thread Editor

Originally Posted by chad085
i had a similar thing happen to me in my '03 150. I was driving from FL to NC with a few of my friends, doing about 80, when my middle seat passenger decided to fall asleep and his knee hit the dash selector and shifted my truck into 4wd. It engaged too, i felt the truck bog down and it scared the s@#t out of me. I just coasted onto the shoulder and put it back in 2wd, then pulled off in the grass and tried 4hi and 4lo to see what had been destoyed. There were no clunks or bangs, even when it got engaged at 80mph. After we got to hatteras i spent a lot of time in 4wd on the beach, never with any problems. when i got home i checked my T-case and front axle oil for metal shavings, none found. I have no idea why my tranny, front axle and t-case didn't just explode and fall onto the interstate. Built ford tough i guess??!!
That's what I am talkin about. Rugged.

Quick Reply: what happens if my truck was bumped into reverse at 45mph