Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

What happened to 4th gear???

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 08:58 PM
@jverderber1

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Unhappy What happened to 4th gear???

I was driving home from school today when something went wrong. It seems as if my truck lost its 4th gear. Its shifts fine from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd but it wont go to 4th. It feels like it goes to neutral and when I hit the gas it revs up until it goes too high and drops back into 3rd. I have no clue about anything transmission wise and I hope I don't have to replace the entire thing. Some one told me that it could be a wire loose or something that got disconnected that told the truck to go to 4th gear. Any help would be appreciated guys I hope I can fix this, it got me really bummed out today. What should I do?
Old 03-20-2009, 11:42 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Long shot here. Check your over drive button.
Old 03-21-2009, 12:09 AM
none.

Received 98 Likes on 78 Posts

probably cooked the OD band.
Old 03-21-2009, 12:47 AM
@jverderber1

Originally Posted by obusnizzle
probably cooked the OD band.
Yea because the truck runs great with the O/D off but when I turn it on and it is suppose to switch to 4th it just goes to neutral. Is there anyway to fix that or am I screwed?
Old 03-21-2009, 04:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

warrenty? take it to the dealer if not drop it out and take it to a trani shop and have it rehauled
Old 03-21-2009, 05:09 AM
'06 F150 4.6L V8 Triton

Originally Posted by cody ryan
warrenty? take it to the dealer if not drop it out and take it to a trani shop and have it rehauled
He has an '04.. I doubt the factory warranty is still available for him.
Old 03-21-2009, 09:11 AM
Black 06 F150 SCab 4x4

If you have any remaining time on an extended powertrain warranty then have it checked out.

Most trans shops only charge XX dollars to tear down and investigate what's wrong with a transmission. There are tons of things that can happen to your trans to cause that symptom. It could be a stuck/failing Shift Solenoid. It could be a failed TCC sensor that allowed your trans to roast the overdrive band or apply inadequate pressure and burn up the direct clutch. It could be hard wear and poor maintenance that caused you to just burn up the direct clutch.... bottom line though, it's probably the direct clutches. If so, if you keep driving on it you'll quickly lose third and second as well. Get it checked out ASAP.

EDIT: On second thought I think the direct clutch would cause a loss of 3rd/4th so it's probably the OD band getting burned up do to 1) inadequate apply pressure which could be caused by all sorts of things 2) too many WOT downshifts while in 4th gear 3) too much towing with OD enabled at speeds where it couldn't pick between 3rd/4th gear.... the reasons keep going on but you should have it checked asap. A burned up OD band or clutches release tons of little particles in your trans which allow slipping. If you drive on a failed direct clutch it will take just under a month before you lost 2nd gear and then only a couple more weeks to lose 1st. If it's just a failed OD band and you get it checked/replaced now it will be far cheaper for them to rebuild because there will be less damage to other clutches inside.

If it turns out a trans shop tells you it requires a rebuild and will cost more than $2000 you may be better off online getting a heavy duty transmission built for you and shipped then installing it yourself.
Old 03-21-2009, 01:08 PM
@jverderber1

Originally Posted by djbruce26
If you have any remaining time on an extended powertrain warranty then have it checked out.

Most trans shops only charge XX dollars to tear down and investigate what's wrong with a transmission. There are tons of things that can happen to your trans to cause that symptom. It could be a stuck/failing Shift Solenoid. It could be a failed TCC sensor that allowed your trans to roast the overdrive band or apply inadequate pressure and burn up the direct clutch. It could be hard wear and poor maintenance that caused you to just burn up the direct clutch.... bottom line though, it's probably the direct clutches. If so, if you keep driving on it you'll quickly lose third and second as well. Get it checked out ASAP.

EDIT: On second thought I think the direct clutch would cause a loss of 3rd/4th so it's probably the OD band getting burned up do to 1) inadequate apply pressure which could be caused by all sorts of things 2) too many WOT downshifts while in 4th gear 3) too much towing with OD enabled at speeds where it couldn't pick between 3rd/4th gear.... the reasons keep going on but you should have it checked asap. A burned up OD band or clutches release tons of little particles in your trans which allow slipping. If you drive on a failed direct clutch it will take just under a month before you lost 2nd gear and then only a couple more weeks to lose 1st. If it's just a failed OD band and you get it checked/replaced now it will be far cheaper for them to rebuild because there will be less damage to other clutches inside.

If it turns out a trans shop tells you it requires a rebuild and will cost more than $2000 you may be better off online getting a heavy duty transmission built for you and shipped then installing it yourself.
OK thanks guys im going to get it looked at today. Im kinda on a tight budget so im hoping this wont kill me. Thanks for all the help.
Old 03-26-2009, 06:55 PM
@jverderber1

Well turns out it was the O/D band and I cracked it. I didnt think you could do that. Just got it back today and it runs great. Im going to tone down my abuse on the truck to avoid this kind of thing. It only cost me $1200 for a complete rehaul with bigger clutches so it wasnt that bad. I just wish I knew more about transmissions so I can know what im talking about next time. Thanks for all the help guys
Old 03-26-2009, 07:06 PM
none.

Received 98 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by SickF1fifty
Well turns out it was the O/D band and I cracked it. I didnt think you could do that. Just got it back today and it runs great. Im going to tone down my abuse on the truck to avoid this kind of thing. It only cost me $1200 for a complete rehaul with bigger clutches so it wasnt that bad. I just wish I knew more about transmissions so I can know what im talking about next time. Thanks for all the help guys
its the heat, a large vehicle....and a heavy foot, no matter how well built the 4R75E/4R70W is built, hard throttle 4-2 downshifts will cook the OD band over time.

Quick Reply: What happened to 4th gear???