Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

What could be wrong?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2012, 09:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What could be wrong?

I have a 2007 5.4L V8 F150 XLT SuperCab truck. The only mods to the truck are a Roush CAI and Roush offroad exhaust. Well yesterday I was driving in some heavy rain and I ran through a puddle of water on the road. The water splashed up into the engine on the passenger side. Immediately the engine started to sputter and then eventually died. My first fear was that I somehow sucked water in through the intake and hydrolocked the engine. I popped the hood and saw that it was bone dry inside of the air dam. This would make sense given the water splashed up on the passenger side and the intake is on the driver's side, but I needed to check to make sure.

Well since it didn't look like the intake sucked in any H20, I waited about 5 min and tried to start it up. The engine turned over, but it idled really rough and the engine light came on. The second I tried to give it any gas the engine would die. I repeated this a few times and then gave up and had it towed to my local Ford garage (they won't look at it until Monday). Anyone have any idea of what the problem could possibly be?
Old 06-23-2012, 09:27 PM
DIY

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Maybe an electric wire got wet and short circuit a fuse or just created a condition. Wo knows,once is dry it may work with no problem, but if so, you should check the wiring
Old 06-24-2012, 01:20 AM
Fabteched FX4

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

How much water? notice any around your COPs? Alot of times at the dealership when we get used cars with the motors detailed we have to pull plugs and COPs and blow water out of the spark plug holes... not a big deal, but water in the hole will make it run rough. also your PCM is on that side... dont think a puddle will make it short out though.
Old 06-24-2012, 03:23 AM

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

That exact same thing happened to me I towed it back home and once I got there I tried starting it and it fired right up took it for a drive no issues must of just got something wet I don't remember what It was I got wet but that was the problem
Old 06-24-2012, 04:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 121_FX4
How much water? notice any around your COPs? Alot of times at the dealership when we get used cars with the motors detailed we have to pull plugs and COPs and blow water out of the spark plug holes... not a big deal, but water in the hole will make it run rough. also your PCM is on that side... dont think a puddle will make it short out though.
^^ this. It is a common problem with these engines if they get water puddled around the plug holes.
Old 06-24-2012, 10:18 AM

I can't say with 100% certainty that there was water around the COPs, but trying to think back to when I popped the hood (I was a bit ticked off at the time and it was still raining a bit) I think there probably was. Like I said, my main concern was the intake. Seeing that was dry gave me some relief, but I'm still a little irked that it died. I probably drove through an inch (maybe two) of water and that caused it to die. Heck, I remember driving through rivers with my grandpa as a kid in his old Bronco and that thing kept going.
Old 06-24-2012, 10:46 AM

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Fpdm?
Old 06-24-2012, 12:31 PM
Paint it black

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by lariatboy
Fpdm?
+1
Old 06-24-2012, 01:06 PM

Received 532 Likes on 438 Posts

If its warm and sunny leave your hood open and let the engine bay dry out... You probably got some water on the cops or in the plug hole.... Give it the day to dry then turn the engine over and you should be straight. I've had this happen countless times on all my trucks, just not on this one.... yet...
Old 06-25-2012, 10:48 AM

Well, those that guessed fpdm get a prize.

Quick Reply: What could be wrong?