Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

What am I Missing?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2015, 11:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What am I Missing?

I posted this in another thread, but am getting kind of desperate (and discouraged) at this point, and am hoping you guys can help.

My '05 had the timing components replaced shortly before I bought it. 2600 miles later it started to tick/knock. The knock is clearly coming from just behind the right side phaser. Everything under the valve cover looks clean. It has since had the phasers, tensioners, guides, chains, and crank timing sprocket replaced with OEM parts. That didn't help anything and then it started having power issues and an occasional misfire in cylinder one. The radio had a whining static noise and then lost volume entirely (probably not related, but might be of use to diagnose). Compression in the misfiring cylinder is 160 lbs. Tried swapping the injectors -- no change. The left side was working properly -- with the phaser adjusting timing. The right side however was not advancing or retarding at all (0%). The computer was commanding the phaser, but it was not moving.

So I bought new plugs and a Melling oil pump. Pulled the covers off to notice the right chain had jumped 6 teeth and was starting to chew up the crank timing sprocket again. Got the new pump in, reset timing, and the plugs. Still knocking, the misfire is worse and it barely idles.

Any ideas? Something I am overlooking? Thanks for reading and I appreciate any advice.
Old 12-20-2015, 11:31 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The radio has two filters that attach to the top of the timing cover. Were they put back? As far as the timing chain. Which tensioners did you put in it? There is a problem with the composites they blow out the o-ring. the metal aftermarket tensioners are poorly made. the Ford ones are better but expensive. You did pull the pins on the metal adjusters? the aftermarket adjusters have a plate that the fords do not come with. On my engine the plate would of blocked the opil flow to them. this was due to the oil hole not lining up. This was another reason I went with ford
Old 12-20-2015, 11:58 PM

Yes, both filters were put back on, apparently those do go bad occasionally. The tensioners, chains, phasers, and plugs are all Motorcraft. The tensioners are the composite variety as the parts guy insisted they are now the same part number as the metal tensioners from the 2 valve. And, yes the pins were pulled.
Old 12-21-2015, 12:26 AM

Check to make sure that the seal is not blown. the parts guy is wrong. I had that problem as well. My machinist states those fail a lot. I insisted that I get the metal ones. If you wasted another sprocket it sounds like the pressure is leaking. the metal one without the gasket does not fail
Old 12-21-2015, 12:44 AM

The truck had all new timing components when I bought it, including the tensioners. When i swapped them, for the Motorcraft, I inspected the seals on the set with 2600 miles on them. Everything was like new. The new set had a total of about 10 miles before it was pulled apart again -- still like new. Judging by the wear on the timing cover, the issue has always been on the right side. Why is the right side letting the chain jump, but not the left?
Old 12-21-2015, 05:47 AM

I'm not sure but I still don't trust those orings..........
What did you replace when you took it apart the second time?
Old 12-21-2015, 08:04 AM
Some guy

Received 2,025 Likes on 1,286 Posts

Does the knock go away if you unplug the injector?

Trending Topics

Old 12-21-2015, 08:35 AM

No, the knock does not go away unplugging the injector. We even tried swapping injectors, no change. The knock did occasionally go away before, but only momentarily.

The second (last) time it was apart we replaced the oil pump and swapped the plugs -- only broke 4.
Old 12-21-2015, 08:53 AM

Well on my engine the injector went bad and I hydralocked the cylinder. This caused a bent rod. The knock was the rod banging against the block. I couldn't figure it out until the engine was apart. If you put a borescope in th cylinder at TDC and compare the piston height with an adj cylinder at TDC the one with the bent rod will be lower
Old 12-21-2015, 09:13 AM
Some guy

Received 2,025 Likes on 1,286 Posts

I'm thinking a seized lifter
The following users liked this post:
ColdinCanada (12-23-2015)

Quick Reply: What am I Missing?