Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

What adjustments can you make with headers

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2009, 05:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What adjustments can you make with headers

I have a 2005 F150 STX with a 4.6L V8. I have ceramic coated Gibson Shorty Headers and a Flowmaster force II tuned cat-back exhaust. What adjustments can i make with them? I am not very familiar with headers so i dont know what can be done. Is there anything that can be done to make them louder or deeper? What all options do i have with them?
Old 05-04-2009, 06:18 PM
Truck & Car Hobbyist

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Not sure if there are any adjustments. A CAI and larger throttle body and a computer programmer will help.

If you want a deeper sound, going with a full dual exhaust and xpipe will help. If you like FlowMaster, Super 44 mufflers sound good. I prefer magnaflow.

I have a question. Did you or someone else put those headers in? Im wondering to see the difficulty level. I put longtubes on my mustang and they were a Pain in the butt.
Old 05-04-2009, 08:50 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

it definatley doesnt look like an easy job on my 06 5.4 lol!!
Old 05-04-2009, 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by BigBlack08XLT
Not sure if there are any adjustments. A CAI and larger throttle body and a computer programmer will help.

If you want a deeper sound, going with a full dual exhaust and xpipe will help. If you like FlowMaster, Super 44 mufflers sound good. I prefer magnaflow.

I have a question. Did you or someone else put those headers in? Im wondering to see the difficulty level. I put longtubes on my mustang and they were a Pain in the butt.
I had the ford house put them in but they messed them up. They didnt really fit right so they tired to force them and broke one of the brackets where the bolts go in. And they didnt even get them tight. I had somebody look at them later and all of the bolts where just hand tight, some where falling out. I had a friend of a friend that works there do it so there was nothing i could do to make them fix it.

For the programmer, i put a Hypertech max energy programmer on my truck and it didnt really do much. I couldnt tell any difference so i sent it back. Are there really any that work for gas trucks? I know they really help for diesels.

Last edited by Littleozzy; 05-04-2009 at 09:51 PM.
Old 05-04-2009, 09:51 PM
GIT-ER-MUDDY

Originally Posted by 06fordf150
it definatley doesnt look like an easy job on my 06 5.4 lol!!
it definently isnt it took me and to of my buddies at his shop 14 hrs to do my jba shortys but it was so worth it when i was done after bolting up the high flow cats and magnaflow muffler it sounded sick man do i miss that truck
Old 05-04-2009, 10:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Littleozzy
I had the ford house put them in but they messed them up. They didnt really fit right so they tired to force them and broke one of the brackets where the bolts go in. And they didnt even get them tight. I had somebody look at them later and all of the bolts where just hand tight, some where falling out. I had a friend of a friend that works there do it so there was nothing i could do to make them fix it.
pull the old screws out one at a time replacing them with a self locking screw, like breslin's. once you tighten them to spec, you use the center locking piece to expand the screw and it keeps them from backing out. works kinda like the plastic dry wall anchors that you put into your wall. when you put the screw in, it expands locking it into place. just some info for ya.
Old 05-04-2009, 10:17 PM
Truck & Car Hobbyist

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

It took me 12hrs to do my mustangs longtubes. I had to drop the kmember. It sucked, but well worth it. The sound was way different than just having a catback and of course, the performance was a huge difference.

Sorry to hear about the problems with the install.

LittleOzzy, Was it worth it? Noticeable Performance boost? With the price of the headers and time, Ive been debating the install.
Old 05-04-2009, 11:53 PM
Combat Trucker

Originally Posted by Littleozzy
I have a 2005 F150 STX with a 4.6L V8. I have ceramic coated Gibson Shorty Headers and a Flowmaster force II tuned cat-back exhaust. What adjustments can i make with them? I am not very familiar with headers so i dont know what can be done. Is there anything that can be done to make them louder or deeper? What all options do i have with them?
sell the shorties and get long tubes. shorties dont really give you any more power. long tubes is where its at. as for the programmer, i have an edge and it really woke the truck up.
Old 05-05-2009, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by BigBlack08XLT
It took me 12hrs to do my mustangs longtubes. I had to drop the kmember. It sucked, but well worth it. The sound was way different than just having a catback and of course, the performance was a huge difference.

Sorry to hear about the problems with the install.

LittleOzzy, Was it worth it? Noticeable Performance boost? With the price of the headers and time, Ive been debating the install.
To be honest with you, i would never do it again. I dont really feel like they were worth it. Installed they cost me a little over $1000 and i could have done a ton of different stuff to my truck for that amount. I really feel like they were a waste. In my opinion, dont spend your money on them.

I figured with the stuff i have on my truck i would have noticed some difference in HP or speed or something, but i really havent noticed much. My truck is still really slow. My 0-60 is still around 10 or 11 sec. Something really doesnt feel right.
Old 05-05-2009, 02:04 PM
Combat Trucker

ive found pacesetter long tubes for right around $300. not sure what it would cost to install but i cant see it costing over $1000. and you will notice a difference with long tubes

Quick Reply: What adjustments can you make with headers