Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Well ain't this wonderful. Light knocking noise, w/video

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2016, 02:13 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Well ain't this wonderful. Light knocking noise, w/video

Two days after buying the truck this past Saturday, it starting making the dreaded knocking/tapping noise. Most likely the usual VCT phaser issue, or timing chain tensioners broken. I'm guessing chain tensioners since it makes no noise what so ever at a cold start up, still runs great, fuel mileage is, average I guess? 15mpg. As of now, it's mostly only audible from outside, louder at the backside of the engine than the front/top end. Inside, I can barely hear it. The used car dealer does offer a warranty, 50% coverage on parts/labor within the first 30 days or 1,000 miles, so I might as well take advantage of that. Until Wednesday it's gonna sit, because I'm pretty close to that 1k mile warranty limit.

This is really discouraging considering I've had good look with past vehicle purchases as far as what to look at and what do avoid. It made no such noises at the used car dealer, even after a lengthy test drive, so I thought I was good to go. Hell, the Ranger I have that this truck is replacing has an engine with 225k miles, bought used at 157k, and its valvetrain and bottom end is quite silent.

Quick Reply: Well ain't this wonderful. Light knocking noise, w/video