Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Weird transmission "issue"

Old 04-02-2016, 11:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi guys, I have an 07 XLT with 134k miles on it and don't really know if there's something wrong with my tranny or what. It shifts and downshifts perfectly and smoothly the "issue" is when it shifts from 3rd gear to 4th, it kinda just transition to 4th gear without even feeling anything but the engine feels kinda "underpowered", best way to describe it is that if you were driving a car with a manual tranny and you feel the engine needs you to downshift 1 gear. It's really hard the describe but something doesn't feel right. Maybe the shifting points are off? Thanks!

Last edited by Christiancito; 04-02-2016 at 03:21 PM.
Old 04-02-2016, 12:19 PM

Received 532 Likes on 438 Posts

Originally Posted by Christiancito
I guys, I have an 07 XLT with 134k miles on it and don't really know if there's something wrong with my tranny or what. It shifts and downshifts perfectly and smoothly the "issue" is when it shifts from 3rd gear to 4th, it kinda just transition to 4th gear without even feeling anything but the engine feels kinda "underpowered", best way to describe it is that if you were driving a car with a manual tranny and you feel the engine needs you to downshift 1 gear. It's really hard the describe but something doesn't feel right. Maybe the shifting points are off? Thanks!
Is the engine lugging in 4th gear? And not downshifting until you really push the pedal down?
Try watching the gear indicator pid on your tuner if you have one.. Watch for the unlock and lock of the torque converter.
Also, if you do have a tuner and your tires and gears are not properly calibrated, then yes you will get a more sloppy and un synchronized feel from your tranny..
Old 04-02-2016, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by Especial86
Is the engine lugging in 4th gear? And not downshifting until you really push the pedal down? Try watching the gear indicator pid on your tuner if you have one.. Watch for the unlock and lock of the torque converter. Also, if you do have a tuner and your tires and gears are not properly calibrated, then yes you will get a more sloppy and un synchronized feel from your tranny..
I don't have a tuner but i do have bigger tires and my speedometer is like 4 mph off, maybe that's messing up with my transmissions shifting points uh? It downshifts easily, don't have to step on it at all
Old 04-02-2016, 08:41 PM

I just noticed that im doing 45 to 50 Mph at 1000 rpm's seems a little too low I guess
Old 04-02-2016, 08:46 PM
Cycle For Fun and Health

Received 495 Likes on 384 Posts

Get a tuner - Edge Evo or other.
You can find them here, on Ebay or Craigs List used for about $250.
Make sure it has been returned to stock.
Shift points, tire size, speedometer correction and many other items are adjustable.
You wont regret it. Your truck will seem like a different vehicle.
Old 04-02-2016, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by joe mcmillan
Get a tuner - Edge Evo or other. You can find them here, on Ebay or Craigs List used for about $250. Make sure it has been returned to stock. Shift points, tire size, speedometer correction and many other items are adjustable. You wont regret it. Your truck will seem like a different vehicle.
I was told that I can't use a tuner because i have the cam phasers lockouts. Someone mentioned that the only one i can use its called SCT and have to use a custom tune
Old 04-03-2016, 12:28 AM

Received 78 Likes on 77 Posts

The edge evo can be converted into a PHP gryphon and then you can order custom tunes for it. It'll be like a whole different truck
The following users liked this post:
Christiancito (04-03-2016)
Old 04-03-2016, 12:36 AM

Originally Posted by 08silverbullet
The edge evo can be converted into a PHP gryphon and then you can order custom tunes for it. It'll be like a whole different truck
Sorry my ignorance but what is PHP? What's a good but cheap tuner to get that will work with cam phaser lockouts? Thanks in advance
Old 04-03-2016, 11:05 AM

Received 78 Likes on 77 Posts

Power hungry performance you can find a used evo for about 200 and convert it for free
The following users liked this post:
Christiancito (04-03-2016)
Old 04-03-2016, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by 08silverbullet
Power hungry performance you can find a used evo for about 200 and convert it for free
Awesome!!! I'll start looking for one online, thanks a lot!!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Weird transmission "issue"