Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

weird throttle lag.

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 11:29 PM

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Default weird throttle lag.

yesterday i notcied my truck was acting a little weird while driving home on an old highway, cruising at around 50 my truck would be holding aroud 1900 on the tach, then it would just bog down to about 1100, it doesnt feel like its changing gears, just bogs down, it wouldnt slow down, it would hold the speed. and when i wold go to speed up a little i would have to press quite a bit more then normal to even get the tach needle to even move again, its like there was a dead area on the accelerator and if i stomped on it at that time it would take a second to even respond with power. ive never noticed this until yesterday. i put my truck back to stock on my evo and drove around for a while and then loaded the tune again, still the same. would getting my pcm reflashed do any good? this might even be normal (which i doubt) and i just have never noticed before. i dont feel any loss of power by the way. still a beast truck just while cruising it hold a weird rpm and takes more pressure to speed up. alhough i will say my mpg has gone up a full number since last night because of the low rpm. any help would be great.
Old 02-12-2010, 08:11 AM
I NOM NOM NOM Threads...

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

You say there's no loss in power but do you hear the engine rpm's actually change?
Old 02-12-2010, 10:40 AM

yes, i hear the engine slow down, i have a magnaflow exhaust in the truck so i can usually hear the truck inside the cab, after it bogs down i cant hear the engine at all. it just sounds like im coasting.
Old 02-12-2010, 11:31 AM
I NOM NOM NOM Threads...

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

In that case I would check the throttle body, it might be sticking open just for a second or so. That's just an educated guess though...
Old 02-12-2010, 12:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

50mph @ 1900 rpm sounds like the time overdrive should kick in......assuming you have an OD automatic.

take a drive and when you experiance the rpm loss, turn off the overdrive( the button at the end of the shift lever). see what happens.
I'm thinkin' the rpms will jump back up again without moving the gas pedal.

I had a Ranger with a 4.0 v6 and OD automatic. When the trans shifted into OD, the motor would miss and shudder and lose power. in my case it was the throttle position sensor.

Bob the Fool

Last edited by foolwitools; 02-12-2010 at 12:08 PM.
Old 02-12-2010, 06:09 PM

i actually did do that, and your are right it did shoot back up in rpms. so i guess its normal then? what about my lagging response? do i just need to clean some my throttle body? thanks for your help by the way.
Old 02-12-2010, 07:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you might have a minor problem.

maybe get your codes read. stop by a larger auto parts store and ask them to read the codes your truck is showing. they usally do this for free and it takes just a few minutes....

this will show anythig the truck's computer system has detected.

it's a place to start and may show exactly what the problem is.

could be as simple as a $40 easily replaced part.

Last edited by foolwitools; 02-12-2010 at 07:43 PM.

Trending Topics

Old 02-12-2010, 07:52 PM

i used the diagnostic tool on my edge, didnt show anything. i will take it to autozone tomorrow, maybe they can pull something. Hopes its doesnt turn into anything to major, my wife will be pissed. i was spending hundreds of dollars like every month on repairs for my 2001 Lincoln LS, she got sick of that real fast. haha

Last edited by madeSICC; 02-12-2010 at 07:55 PM.

Quick Reply: weird throttle lag.