Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Weird Power Lock Issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2013, 02:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Weird Power Lock Issue

2006 F150 Lariat Supercrew

Having an issue with my drivers side power locks not unlocking. I have keyless entry, command start (think it's factory).

Behavior:
-Unlock works fine on the factory remote, but not on the driver side door doing it manually or the command start
-Lock works fine on all (factory remote, drivers side door, and command start)

So the only way I can unlock the doors is the factory remote. I figured it was just a switch, bought a new one, but didn't fix the problem.

I'm not even sure where to start looking for the problem.
Old 10-18-2013, 03:20 PM

Received 63 Likes on 60 Posts

I could be wrong (I'm not 100% sure) but I don't believe there was a factory command start option on the 2004-2008 f150's. Your dealer would install "their" version, but it has to be wired in.

From what you're describing, it sounds to me like the wire from the door unlock switch was cut. My guess is you have an aftermarket (or what Ford called theirs at the time) and they tapped into the unlock wire from the drivers door switch (same as what I basically did with my truck) and the wire has either come apart or broken off. Check the drivers side kick panel.

If they did what most people do, look under your dash on the drivers side and see if you see a box with wires strapped up. It'll tell you that you have an aftermarket remote starter.
Old 10-18-2013, 07:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by homer
I could be wrong (I'm not 100% sure) but I don't believe there was a factory command start option on the 2004-2008 f150's. Your dealer would install "their" version, but it has to be wired in.

From what you're describing, it sounds to me like the wire from the door unlock switch was cut. My guess is you have an aftermarket (or what Ford called theirs at the time) and they tapped into the unlock wire from the drivers door switch (same as what I basically did with my truck) and the wire has either come apart or broken off. Check the drivers side kick panel.

If they did what most people do, look under your dash on the drivers side and see if you see a box with wires strapped up. It'll tell you that you have an aftermarket remote starter.
Thanks for your help, I was able to track it down.

The factory command start is ford, but it's basically an aftermarket model with a ford sticker on it.

Tested the wires from the switch at a few places and it turns out the command start/door unlock wiring was broken in the main wiring harness on the floor beside the drivers seat. Fixed that and everything's working!

Wish I didn't wast $45 on a new lock switch, but that was me being lazy... Don't think most dealers allow returns on electrical components though.
Old 10-19-2013, 04:06 PM

Received 63 Likes on 60 Posts

haha glad you've found it! Everything you described sounded like it was a break. Did they solder the wires, T-tap, or other? I know this could start a large debate LOL. I prefer to solder, but that's my personal preference .

My truck originally had a "factory" remote start which was an Astrostart unit (same deal, Ford sticker on it but actually aftermarket). I didn't like the unit so I've switched the entire thing out to a Compustar 2-way alarm + start.

Quick Reply: Weird Power Lock Issue