Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Weird Pop/Clunk Sound in Rear End (wet roads only)

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2014, 11:52 AM

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Weird Pop/Clunk Sound in Rear End (wet roads only)

I have a weird clunk in what seems to be the rear end when going around turns but ONLY on wet roads. It will clunk when I turn left, then again back turning right, once it clunks on a left turn I can left turn all day and it wont do it, but as soon as I go back to the right, it clunks again.....

Any Ideas???
Old 07-07-2016, 11:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have this same problem on my 04. Does anyone have any ideas what it could be?
Old 07-07-2016, 11:23 PM

Received 964 Likes on 742 Posts

Probably the differential clutches.
Old 07-07-2016, 11:28 PM
TOTM November 2019

Received 11,597 Likes on 6,203 Posts

Wet roads only? I call BS.......but it does sound like the clutch packs in the rear differential. When was the last service done to the rear diff?
Old 07-08-2016, 12:24 PM

Received 89 Likes on 68 Posts

Weird that its only on wet roads. Mine clunks just like yours (but on dry pavement too). It's the axles moving side to side within the housing (there is a little play between the C clip that holds the axle in and the housing). It happens on a lot of cars.

Not much you can do about it really. I know they make C clip delete kits for other cars, but I haven't looked into them much.
Old 07-08-2016, 10:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Summers22
Wet roads only? I call BS.......but it does sound like the clutch packs in the rear differential. When was the last service done to the rear diff?
It is the non limited slip. At 95k the carrier bearing was replaced, so new fluid then. at about 110k I realized the vent tube for the axel wasn't connected, so I changed the fluid again to be sure there was no water or dirt in there. I now have 142K on the truck. It's been making the sound for roughly the last 20k miles off and on. It does occasionally do it when dry out but almost always does it when wet out. The end of my street is a hill and I can almost guaranty it will do it when turning onto my street when it's raining out. I've ben under the truck may times trying to find anything that looks loose or shows signs of movement and have found nothing. I tried removing the drive shaft and re-greasing the slip yoke, since I had heard those can make a popping sound, but it did not help.

FYI, one of the last times I was under there, I found that my receiver hitch had rotted through. It is all part of the framing for the bumper and had to get the replacement from Ford. There are two small drain holes in the bottom of the hitch that must get plugged up and salt sand and water build up and rot it from the inside out. You all might want to check yours and flush it out with a hose occasionally.

Quick Reply: Weird Pop/Clunk Sound in Rear End (wet roads only)