Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Weird Gauge Twitching at Startup

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2012, 09:57 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Question Weird Gauge Twitching at Startup

I've had an issue that started about a month ago, but it was so intermittent until the last week that I thought it was just a weird one-off, but now it's happening quite frequently and I'd like to figure out what it is before it becomes a real problem.

Now, I've never seen anything like this before, but I have some ideas of what it could be. Can the great knowledge of this forum lend a hand?

Essentially, sometimes when I start my truck after it's been sitting for a while, when I start up, all of my gauges will pretty much "bounce" at the bottom of the needle travel for about 5 seconds or so, then just go back to normal. It's best shown in this video I managed to grab.

http://youtu.be/9Y0qqAvdV04 [16 seconds]

Any ideas?
The following 2 users liked this post by Gizmokid2005:
Isaiah94o (01-04-2023), Tiffany Cooke (10-30-2020)
Old 11-29-2012, 10:00 PM
Paramedic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Your motor or transmission sounds kind of rough.
Old 11-29-2012, 10:01 PM

Received 58 Likes on 54 Posts

I don't know what it is but my 05 does it too, and also it clears my trip meter that shows how much mileage I have on that tank, it's starting to worry me also
Old 11-29-2012, 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by RocketMedic
Your motor or transmission sounds kind of rough.
Hmmm?
Originally Posted by STX4x405
I don't know what it is but my 05 does it too, and also it clears my trip meter that shows how much mileage I have on that tank, it's starting to worry me also
I've noticed this happen twice.

This leads me to want to think it's related to the battery. Since that's a common thing, pull the power and lose your trip. I'm thinking my battery is probably going bad. It seems to start a bit hard lately like there's not enough juice...I don't particularly want to drop $150+ on a decent battery right at this moment as buying a house has zapped the bank accounts...
Old 11-29-2012, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by Gizmokid2005
Hmmm?

I've noticed this happen twice.

This leads me to want to think it's related to the battery. Since that's a common thing, pull the power and lose your trip. I'm thinking my battery is probably going bad. It seems to start a bit hard lately like there's not enough juice...I don't particularly want to drop $150+ on a decent battery right at this moment as buying a house has zapped the bank accounts...
Now that you mention it, it started after I left my radio on at one of my party's to keep the neighborhood jamming for a while and my battery died and I had to jump it with a friends truck but I let it charge up for like 2 hours
Old 11-29-2012, 10:16 PM

Exactly. Mine didn't start happening until a little over a month ago. When I worked on one of my windows that had a guide issue and drained my battery enough to where it wouldn't start and I had to use a starter box, but that was this summer at some point.

That's what makes me think that the battery could very well be the culprit..
Old 11-29-2012, 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by Gizmokid2005
Exactly. Mine didn't start happening until a little over a month ago. When I worked on one of my windows that had a guide issue and drained my battery enough to where it wouldn't start and I had to use a starter box, but that was this summer at some point.

That's what makes me think that the battery could very well be the culprit..
That's what I'm leaning towards also, which isn't good because before I did it my dad said If he ended up having to buy me a new battery he was going to kick my ***, oh oh I'm in trouble lol
Old 11-29-2012, 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by STX4x405
That's what I'm leaning towards also, which isn't good because before I did it my dad said If he ended up having to buy me a new battery he was going to kick my ***, oh oh I'm in trouble lol
Hopefully the collective knowledge of the forums can confirm/deny this scenario. I don't have a spare battery to test with or I'd give it a shot...plus it is still an intermittent issue, only happens sometimes, so I wouldn't have a good way to confirm that was the case.
Old 11-29-2012, 10:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Same thing happened to me, replace your battery. If your in a cold climate during the winter like me... Cold temps make quick work of a battery. Check your terminal connections/ battery levels.
Old 11-29-2012, 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by Featherwieght
Same thing happened to me, replace your battery. If your in a cold climate during the winter like me... Cold temps make quick work of a battery. Check your terminal connections/ battery levels.
That's what I thought. I'm in Western lower Michigan and the weather has taken a turn for the cold...though it'll be mid 50s again this weekend...

Quick Reply: Weird Gauge Twitching at Startup