Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Weird gauge problem today. Everything lost power for a second

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2014, 08:47 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Weird gauge problem today. Everything lost power for a second

Today while driving my 07 F150 XL 4.2L 5 speed down the interstate the gauges suddenly shut off for a split second as if I turn the key off. The truck stayed running and taking throttle and the radio kept playing but my trip meter did reset itself. It did this twice within about a minute then everything was fine and has been all day.

Just wondering if anyone has experienced this and had any suggestions. Sounds like something is loose. I'm wondering if its my ignition switch/lock cylinder because a few times I have taken the key out only to have the dinger going off when I opened the door as if the key was still in. Poking it the lock cylinder stops this problem though.

Thanks.
Old 06-01-2014, 11:30 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Weird things happen like that as the battery dies. Replace it.
Old 06-01-2014, 08:00 PM

Received 55 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Dsherman
Weird things happen like that as the battery dies. Replace it.
x2
Old 08-02-2014, 12:08 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well I tried a few things I read on forums like cleaning the abs connection and the battery terminals. I also tried a suggestion from a buddy and added an extra ground from the battery to the frame. I also found out that when the gauges go out I can bump the bottom of the steering wheel and they come back (which points to a loose connection) but I can't make the gauges go out via this method so I'm confused on that one. I had the steering column apart and checked and cleaned all connectors with contact cleaner. I thought I was in good shape as I hadn't had an issue in days until yesterday it started raining so I used the ac and that's when I had the same problems. Now I'm wondering if the ac compressor is somehow putting a drag on the belt system and not letting the battery get properly charged by the alternator. Maybe I'm putting too much thought into this but I want to figure it out not just start replacing stuff. The battery and alternator check out at auto zone but I figure with these fully computerized trucks they have a smaller window of "required voltage"

Quick Reply: Weird gauge problem today. Everything lost power for a second