Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Weird ass water leak

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 10:59 PM

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Weird *** water leak

I have a water leak somewhere in my truck and on the right side water somehow got into the little slt where the wiring is ran throughout the truck under those plastic covers (on the floor just to the side of the seats). Nothing has shorted or nothin but I can hear it when I accelerate and slow down which scared me because that means its sloshing around in there. Its only on the passenger side and I would like to know how to fix it/ where its coming in. Thanks guys
Old 02-23-2010, 11:02 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Whew! From the title,I thought your *** had sprung a leak.
Good luck with the truck.

Old 02-24-2010, 12:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Holy Crap!! I've got the same exact leak!! I was going to post a thread on this but you beat me to it. I bet people think I'm nuts in the parking lot pulling out and stopping again and again. I hope somebody knows whats going on because I can't find it.
Old 02-24-2010, 12:13 AM

Oh! I forgot to mention, I don't have a sunroof so that's not the source.
Old 02-24-2010, 02:04 AM

i thought i read, that the third brake light gasket leaks and could cause that
Old 02-24-2010, 06:23 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

You guys must have been snoozing, as this same problem (water in the wiring channel (passenger side) was on the forum last week (and several times in the past.

In all of the past threads, the following (not in any order) items can be the culprit:

1) Leaking seal around cab third brakelight
2) Air Conditioner (there's a Ford TSB on this one)
3) Wire rubber seal not seated behind battery (remove battery to locate).

Do a search on "water leak" or "leak"....you'll see this comes up often.
Old 02-24-2010, 08:36 AM

I'll check those out, Thanks!
Old 02-24-2010, 09:37 AM

Received 147 Likes on 78 Posts

Here's the TSB:

TSB 07-13-5
07/09/07
PASSENGER FRONT FLOOR WATER LEAK - A/C
CONDENSATION LEAKING FORD:
2004-2006 F-150 LINCOLN:
2006 Mark LT ISSUE
Some 2004-2006 F-150 and 2006 Mark LT vehicles may exhibit water leaking back into the cab and on to the passenger floor from the A/C plenum drain tube area. ACTION
Refer to the following Service Procedure to determine if the water leak is from the air conditioning drain tube. SERVICE PROCEDURE

1. Verify that the water leak is from the heating ventilation air conditioning (HVAC) case drain seal and not from another source. Pull back the carpet on the passenger floorboard and feel the HVAC drain tube seal for water (Figure 1A-1B) The concern may be verified easier with the front of the vehicle slightly elevated. a. If there are signs of water or moisture at the drain tube seal, continue on with the TSB. b. If there are no signs of water or moisture, follow normal diagnosis and repair procedures. NOTE THE VEHICLE SHOULD BE COOL BEFORE ATTEMPTING THIS PROCEDURE.

2. Remove the right front wheel.

3. Remove the right front fender inner splash shield. Refer to Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 501-02.

4. Remove the transmission dip stick tube retaining bolt and position the tube to allow additional hand clearance. Refer to WSM, Section 307-01.

5. Locate the HVAC drain tube protruding from the bulk head. Clean all dirt and debris from the drain tube end. (Figure 2)

6. Using Silicone Brake Caliper Grease and Dielectric Compound, lubricate the short end of the new 90 degree rubber elbow. Push the elbow onto the drain tube and orient the long end pointing straight down. (Figure 3)

7. Reposition the transmission dip stick tube and tighten the retaining bolt to 9 lb-ft (12N.m).

8. Reinstall the inner splash shield, Refer to WSM Section 501-02.

9. Reinstall the right front wheel.

10. Verify transmission fluid level is correct. WARRANTY STATUS: Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage
IMPORTANT : Warranty coverage limits/policies are not altered by a TSB. Warranty coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part. OPERATION DESCRIPTION TIME

071305A 2004-2006 F-150, 2006 0.9 Hr.
Mark LT: Follow Service
Procedure To Diagnose
And Install Elbow Includes
Time To Check And Top
Off Transmission Fluid If
Necessary (Do Not Use
With 16102A, 16038A,
7228A)
Old 02-24-2010, 10:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I finally got my leaks fixed, I had the A/C leak and the third brake light leak. A/c leak was easy to find but the third brake light leak didn't show the way everyone else's did. My head liner was dry as a bone, but I had rust on the back seat bolts on the floor. I check under the carpet and the insulation was soaked after some rain. The next day it rain and i pulled the side trime off and the plastic steps, while it was raining. The water started to come in from the top and ran down the back in the channels. I pulled off the Third Brake like and put weather strip around the opening, being careful not to block the guide holes and put clear silicone to seal the corners of the weather strip. It's been raining for a couple of days now........no leaks.
Old 02-24-2010, 12:21 PM

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

No water is coming down the back glass or getting the back seats wet...I must have the a/c problem because my front passenger floor was a little wet. I see the TSB but is this something I can do ( no prior experience) or do I have to take it in to Ford? Do they cover things like this? Repair cost if not?

Quick Reply: Weird ass water leak