Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

water pump sound

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 07:11 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default water pump sound

Can anyone describe the sound that a water pump makes when it fails? My 2005 f150 with a 5.4 is making a wining noise. The noise is worse the colder it is outside.thanks for the help
Old 03-10-2010, 08:01 PM
FLARESIDE MAN !!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by turtleescape
Can anyone describe the sound that a water pump makes when it fails? My 2005 f150 with a 5.4 is making a wining noise. The noise is worse the colder it is outside.thanks for the help

If the noise is worse when cold there have been a lot of alternator issues making a high picthed whine on accel.. replacing thalt fixes the concern
hope this helps
Old 03-10-2010, 08:12 PM
NashBulldawg

Originally Posted by seniorFORDtech
If the noise is worse when cold there have been a lot of alternator issues making a high picthed whine on accel.. replacing thalt fixes the concern
hope this helps
Hey FORDtech....first off thanks for working on Ford trucks for 19 years, and keeping the best trucks on the road. Not trying to hijack the thread but im having a high pitched whine/whir while accelerating. Do you think this is the alternator? I have an 07 5.4 and Ive heard it could be one of many things "belt tensioner, Fan, etc....but ive always thought that it was my alternator. DO you have any easy way to tell? do you have any idea how much a new alternator is from ford and waht installation will run me? Just ballparking is all im looking for. Thanks!
Old 03-10-2010, 10:13 PM

Well that is what I found on this forum. Last week I changed the alternator and that was not the problem. The noise sounds kinda like a bad power steering pump but unlike most bad pumps the noise dose not change when you move the wheel. That is why I was thinking water pump.
thanks again
Old 03-10-2010, 10:49 PM
FLARESIDE MAN !!!

Originally Posted by turtleescape
Well that is what I found on this forum. Last week I changed the alternator and that was not the problem. The noise sounds kinda like a bad power steering pump but unlike most bad pumps the noise dose not change when you move the wheel. That is why I was thinking water pump.
thanks again

i was unaware that you changed your alt already, my suggestion is to start the engine and use a long bladed screwdriver or something u can use as a stethoscope. becareful not to hit the fan or belt, may not be healthy.. and isolate the whine unlikely its a water pump more like a tensioner or idler pulley
Old 03-10-2010, 10:53 PM
FLARESIDE MAN !!!

Originally Posted by NashBulldawg
Hey FORDtech....first off thanks for working on Ford trucks for 19 years, and keeping the best trucks on the road. Not trying to hijack the thread but im having a high pitched whine/whir while accelerating. Do you think this is the alternator? I have an 07 5.4 and Ive heard it could be one of many things "belt tensioner, Fan, etc....but ive always thought that it was my alternator. DO you have any easy way to tell? do you have any idea how much a new alternator is from ford and waht installation will run me? Just ballparking is all im looking for. Thanks!
most times the whine is only there on colder temp days and only on accel alomsr sounds like it comes through your radio speakers alt run approx,240-280 install is a breeze if your mechanically inclined save your labor. not that I want loose the labor (lol) as I recommended earlier try to isolate the noise first..
Old 03-12-2010, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by seniorFORDtech
i was unaware that you changed your alt already, my suggestion is to start the engine and use a long bladed screwdriver or something u can use as a stethoscope. becareful not to hit the fan or belt, may not be healthy.. and isolate the whine unlikely its a water pump more like a tensioner or idler pulley
Thanks for the advice it was the idler pulley. For less that twenty dollars and five minutes the truck is fixed

Quick Reply: water pump sound