Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Water leaking from seiling by top light??

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 06:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water leaking from seiling by top light??

I have water that is coming into my cab in the back just above my sliding window when going through a carwash or in the rain. The water is draining from the edge of my seiling carpet. It appears that my top hood light may have a bad seal.

Does anyone know where I can get a new seal for a 04 f150 super crew? I guess from the dealer for a high price.
Old 02-16-2009, 06:23 PM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by drjoeshmoe
I have water that is coming into my cab in the back just above my sliding window when going through a carwash or in the rain. The water is draining from the edge of my seiling carpet. It appears that my top hood light may have a bad seal.

Does anyone know where I can get a new seal for a 04 f150 super crew? I guess from the dealer for a high price.
Common problem. Folks who have discussed it here stated they used a bead of silicone on both sides of the seal. It seems to work.
Old 02-16-2009, 10:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ya to replace that break light is about $50 bucks from the dealer ,if you do silicone it good luck getting it off for maintenance
Old 02-17-2009, 07:22 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by torqgasm
ya to replace that break light is about $50 bucks from the dealer ,if you do silicone it good luck getting it off for maintenance
If you are having a problem removing a part because of using silicone as a sealer, then you used way too much. You only need a small bead to seal two parts. If you read the instructions (yea, most never do), it states a SMALL SMEAR in most cases, and allow a few minutes before bolting down the part. Do folks do this? I doubt it. Most apply a good, fat bead around the part, then immediately bolt it down. Yep, seals real good, and as the above poster states, it becomes quite difficult to remove the part later, as this method of using silicone acts as an apoxy rather than a weatherproof seal. All you'd need to do is apply less than a quarter inch bead around the light housings seal, wait for that bead to become dry (it will "rubberize"), then bolt it down. It will easily remove at a later date. Read the instructions that come with the tube. Follow the instructions. They know what they are talking about!
Old 02-17-2009, 10:33 AM
Notorious Thread Editor

Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts

Yup..as Bucko says....a small smear of silicone will do you right.

Quick Reply: Water leaking from seiling by top light??