Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Water leak damage repair

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2014, 10:42 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Water leak damage repair

I just bought an 07 f150 and noticed standing water under the rubber floor mat. Everytime it rains water rolls down the inside of the passenger side fire wall. It must have been leaking for years because there was significant rusting on the floor, interior seat brackets and dash brackets. Fortunately the rust did not have enough time to penetrate through the floor sheet metal. I stripped the interior out, wire wheeled all the rust and loose paint, applied corroseal to chemically convert the rust and then repainted everything.

Hopefully I have the surface rust problem under control. However, before I reinstall the seats and new carpet I need to fix the water leak. This was too much work to go through again and I want the truck to last for a long time.

I have read up on the common areas these trucks leak. I remove the front fender to check for any places it might be leaking but I cant find any. I know its not coming from the 3rd brake light. I can actually see the water running down the firewall on the inside when it is raining or a garden hose is sprayed on the truck.

Who would you suggest to look at the truck if I cant find the source of the leak? Is this a problem for the dealer or a body shop?
Old 03-08-2014, 11:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tatermatt90
I just bought an 07 f150 and noticed standing water under the rubber floor mat. Everytime it rains water rolls down the inside of the passenger side fire wall. It must have been leaking for years because there was significant rusting on the floor, interior seat brackets and dash brackets. Fortunately the rust did not have enough time to penetrate through the floor sheet metal. I stripped the interior out, wire wheeled all the rust and loose paint, applied corroseal to chemically convert the rust and then repainted everything.

Hopefully I have the surface rust problem under control. However, before I reinstall the seats and new carpet I need to fix the water leak. This was too much work to go through again and I want the truck to last for a long time.

I have read up on the common areas these trucks leak. I remove the front fender to check for any places it might be leaking but I cant find any. I know its not coming from the 3rd brake light. I can actually see the water running down the firewall on the inside when it is raining or a garden hose is sprayed on the truck.

Who would you suggest to look at the truck if I cant find the source of the leak? Is this a problem for the dealer or a body shop?
Interesting. I noticed water there too. I just removed the rubber plug...I figured someone left the window open during a rainstorm or something.

Subscribing to see what others provide for feedback.
Old 03-09-2014, 08:17 AM
TOTM November 2019

Received 11,600 Likes on 6,204 Posts

Are your rubber cowl end pieces missing? If they are gone, they let water in at an alarming rate.
Old 03-09-2014, 12:02 PM

I actually just ordered new ones the other day. The driver side was missing but it still had the passenger side.
Old 03-09-2014, 01:33 PM

Received 353 Likes on 285 Posts

Originally Posted by Summers22
Are your rubber cowl end pieces missing? If they are gone, they let water in at an alarming rate.
That's the first thing I was thinking as well!
Old 03-09-2014, 02:16 PM

Received 55 Likes on 45 Posts

I know exactly what it is from.

Took me forever to figure it out. Removed whole interior / third brake light and couldn't find the source. One day I started poking around and found that....

The large cowl pieces in front of your windshield have a push pin in the corners (closest to fender side) that go into a small plastic bracket. This is near the little rubber pieces mentioned in previous posts. ^^^^ That bracket has a push tab / pin that goes into a hole straight through the body! Right into the cab, It has a small foam ring around that tab.

Stupidest design ever! Why make a plastic push pin under the windshield go right through the firewall????? Everytime it rained or I washed my truck my cab would fill up with water soaking the channels and floor. I mean it flooded the floor. Took me forever to figure it out. I bought a new little bracket and RTV around the tab and hole to seal it up tight. I have never ever had water in there again.

Last edited by Moremoney; 03-09-2014 at 08:26 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Summers22 (03-09-2014)
Old 03-09-2014, 06:13 PM
TOTM November 2019

Received 11,600 Likes on 6,204 Posts

^^^That is Awesome, I am getting ready to paint my 2 cowl pieces and when I do, I will check the foam and probably will remove in and silicone up the area.
Old 03-10-2014, 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by Summers22
^^^That is Awesome, I am getting ready to paint my 2 cowl pieces and when I do, I will check the foam and probably will remove in and silicone up the area.
Would it be possible to snap a pic of this?
Old 03-10-2014, 09:20 AM

I just notice I am missing the plastic clip on the passenger side that holds down the cowl.
Old 03-10-2014, 10:43 AM

Is this the clip bracket that leaks? How do you remove it?

Quick Reply: Water leak damage repair