Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Water issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2015, 07:29 PM

Received 61 Likes on 58 Posts
Default Water issue

Aright so recently i've been hearing the famous water "sloshing" around in the cab when i accelerate quickly/step on brakes.

its been raining heavy for 2 days straight now

I've read about the 3rd break light issues, I pulled mine off today, I don't see any sort of water or wet spots... but the light does have a small moister look inside it . I'd like to make sure though... I don't want to RTV it

my question is...

passenger side floorboard is damp.. door sils are FULL of water, and covering the wiring how do i get all this water out? and prevent damage.. and I dont want the carpet to smell..

also checking the sliding glass window, I dont see water, but it seems to be moist

Last edited by grss429; 11-19-2015 at 08:23 PM.
Old 11-19-2015, 08:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey grss429,
When you remove the plastics covering sill about 5 inches from the front, there is a rubber plug (at least on the passenger side). You can remove that to drain it all out, then shop vac any remaining in the wire channel.

I have a similar issue and so far what seemed to work (at least during the last rainfall), theres foam between the inside fender and the engine bay, it's way back close to the firewall. I pushed that back as far as i could. It doesn't seem like a perm fix, but at least if any water did get there, it ran down along it and not into a metal fold or seam that comes back into the truck.

You may want to keep the plastics off the sill and monitor things over the next few rainfalls.

cheers
Old 11-19-2015, 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by micco
Hey grss429,
When you remove the plastics covering sill about 5 inches from the front, there is a rubber plug (at least on the passenger side). You can remove that to drain it all out, then shop vac any remaining in the wire channel.

I have a similar issue and so far what seemed to work (at least during the last rainfall), theres foam between the inside fender and the engine bay, it's way back close to the firewall. I pushed that back as far as i could. It doesn't seem like a perm fix, but at least if any water did get there, it ran down along it and not into a metal fold or seam that comes back into the truck.

You may want to keep the plastics off the sill and monitor things over the next few rainfalls.

cheers
thanks will take a look, i've heard people installing a new 90 elbow on the firewall as well, as some other things im not sure about

Also the passenger side rear sil is fulll of water as well
Old 11-19-2015, 09:12 PM

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

You can get moisture inside the 3rd light from moisture in the cab, because the light is open on back/bottom. Most folks find out that the source is the seal around the 3rd light. The rubber just gets old and lets water in.

You've got so much that it may not be the light, but my leak left visible water on the passenger floor so I guess it's possible. Some folks have had success with a bead of silicone on the gasket (take the light off first) and others have replaced the gasket or light.
Old 11-19-2015, 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by Mechanik
You can get moisture inside the 3rd light from moisture in the cab, because the light is open on back/bottom. Most folks find out that the source is the seal around the 3rd light. The rubber just gets old and lets water in.

You've got so much that it may not be the light, but my leak left visible water on the passenger floor so I guess it's possible. Some folks have had success with a bead of silicone on the gasket (take the light off first) and others have replaced the gasket or light.
the 3rd break light isn't even a year old, the gasket feels/fits nicely from what i can tell...

when i still my finger in the passenger front/rear channels it's up to my knuckle almost

that would also make sense why my windows fog up in cold mornings...
Old 11-20-2015, 06:08 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

There's nothing wrong with using RTV to seal; the problem lies with folks using RTV incorrectly. If you follow directions, it works great. Most folks apply RTV, then instantly apply the part to the surface. Doing it this way makes the RTV act as superglue; trying to remove the part later usually results in the plastic breaking away. Follow the directions of the RTV; apply a small bead, and allow it to set up/cure before installing. It then acts as a great waterproof sealant.
Old 11-20-2015, 07:46 AM

Okay,i pulled the drain plug out of thr passenfer side the standing water is gone but still damp.

Now i took a look at the driver side sils, they are not dukk of water but ita damp and sign of water being there.

What would cause both sides to get wet?

Ill re-seal 3rd break light what else
Old 11-20-2015, 08:35 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

If you do a search on this, you'll find a thread (or dozen) on potential water leaks for the '04 to '08 F150's. Just a few weeks ago this came up in another thread, so you'll find results. Mine ended up being the plug/wire harness located behind the battery where it enters the firewall. For me, it was only the passenger side that was getting water though; if you have it on both sides, it could be more then one leak causing your issues.
Old 11-22-2015, 11:25 AM

So the other day i took my 3rd break light off and checked the seal, it looked brand new, so i put it back on and tightend it down, and then it rained last night desided to check the door sils, and there is still water in them.. so something is still leaking, the roof wasnt wet at all.. checked sliding glass window i didnt see anything, but the side weather strippinf was soaked...

It cant be the evap drain cause i wasnt driving the truck it sat

Ive also read something about door seals causing a leak but see any infomation on it
Old 11-24-2015, 11:54 PM

Received 97 Likes on 96 Posts

There is a TSB about water filling a void in the front A-piller, then leaking into the interior and on to the fuse block. Also, remove the cowl and check the windshield mounting brackets (where the cowl pushpin goes into on both sides). Might as well silicone the crap out of them just incase, but that's your call.

Quick Reply: Water issue