Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Want to upgrade to steering wheel controls

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2009, 05:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Want to upgrade to steering wheel controls

I have a 2008 screw FX4. Stock radio, NON-6 disk changer, with an aux button for satellite radio and a phone button. I do not have audio controls on my wheel, but would like to install them. Can anyone describe the procedure or point me in the right direction? Will it be plug and play or will you need to have a dealer reprogram the head unit?
Also, how do you guys know so much about the trucks? Are there books on them or what other resources could i use to learn about stuff?

Thanks
Old 05-17-2009, 10:17 PM

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts

yes, you can upgrade to the SWC for the stereo..... however..... the radio control has 4 buttons, and you will only be able to use the top 2 (volume/scan). you MAY have to run a wire from the radio to the clockspring in the steering wheel in order to get the functions to work (if your truck does not have the wire already).

i did mine a few months ago, and had to run the wire. it was very easy. i will see if i can dig up the post i read with pics and step by step instructions. it is very easy to do though.
Old 05-18-2009, 12:10 AM

thanks, i did a little searching for it but could not find any information. Also, do you know where I can buy the swc? I have found one place but would like to compare.

Last edited by jzoucha03; 05-18-2009 at 12:19 AM.
Old 05-18-2009, 06:23 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by jzoucha03
.......Also, how do you guys know so much about the trucks? Are there books on them or what other resources could i use to learn about stuff?

Thanks
Buy a repair manual. A good decent one for the price is a Haynes, available at any large auto parts store. Go through it. Use it to perform repairs you're comfortable with. Treat yourself to some good tools; ask for them as Birthday, Christmas, fathers day, gifts. Soon enough, you'll become comfortable with the basics.

You're already doing one of the main things now; your researching on your own. You found a source for the steering wheel buttons. Most would just ask, and not bother to search. As you most likely know, there is a search function here. You'd be supprised as to how much can be learned by simply selecting a topic, doing a search, and then read. Most are lazy, and would rather post a question that has been discussed once or twice a month.

We are overdue for the "best exhaust", "best cold air intake" or "best tuner" questions. It's been at least a week....
Old 05-18-2009, 10:44 AM
Administrator

Received 1,682 Likes on 587 Posts

Originally Posted by Bucko
We are overdue for the "best exhaust", "best cold air intake" or "best tuner" questions. It's been at least a week....

You had to go saying something.
Old 05-18-2009, 04:16 PM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by Lenn

You had to go saying something.
And "lo and behold", it happened today!!!!

And the winner is: https://www.f150forum.com/f4/what-better-23931/
Old 05-18-2009, 06:50 PM
-_-

Hooray google. I just tried googling this same topic because I wanted to add this function to my truck awhile ago, but couldn't find anything on the topic. Long story short, this thread popped up....
Old 05-19-2009, 01:35 AM

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts

ok, the part number for the updated swc is: 6L3Z 9C888 AA. Cost $70.88 from www.tascafordparts.com. im still trying to find the post with the pics and step by step.

basically, you have to remove the airbag and then pull the steering wheel to get the switches out of your wheel, and then put the new style in. it is very easy to do.

but, you may, or may not have the necessary wire running from your clockspring to your head unit. i went to the local dealership and got 2 pigtail wires with the right connectors to fit the prongs on the back of the stereo, and then made my own wire. didnt take long at all.
Old 05-19-2009, 06:04 AM

If anyone's looking there's a post on Omaha's Craigslist for a steering wheel with controls. I think the guy was asking $30 and it's been there awhile.
Old 05-19-2009, 10:07 AM
Car Audio FANATIC

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

i found a steering wheel from a lincoln mark... would that work? '07 xl is what i have

Quick Reply: Want to upgrade to steering wheel controls