Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Wackiest Problem. Need Help from the best Speedo reading crazy numbers

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2016, 10:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wackiest Problem. Need Help from the best Speedo reading crazy numbers

Hey everyone. So here's my situation. About a month ago I bought a 2005 f1 fx4 4x4. The seller said the transfer case was bad so he removed it to fix it but never did. He also said it had a "new trans" with no paperwork. I bought it cause it was cheap cheap. After messing with the transfer case a that was now sitting in the bed it seemed to be fine. So I installed it in the truck just to see and it seemed fine engaging it manually. Okay, so just the eletric motor went out. Replaced that and went for a test drive. The truck was shifting terribly. It was way off and was very violent. The speedo was also reading over 80 mph when doing about 25. So I immediately though speed sensor on side of transmission. Replaced that, nothing changed. Then I thought maybe gauge cluster. Exchanged with another truck and nothing changed. After this I looked online and it sounded like the guy may have put the wrong transmission into the thing since speedo sensor internals are changed within a few years of this truck. Uh oh. The guy said he drove 11k miles on the new trans before it broke but not sure if that is true. So I called him and he gave me the name of the shop he did it at. I called the shop and with his name I was able to actually get the paperwork for the transmission. They put a new transmission in the truck at 210k miles. It now has about 222k miles on it. Therefore, he did actually put miles on this transmission and is telling the truth. Now I have no ideawhere to go from. Could the pcm have shorted or gone bad? That's an expensive and confusing part to replace, especially not knowing if that's even the problem. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks it's much appreciated.

Quick Reply: Wackiest Problem. Need Help from the best Speedo reading crazy numbers