Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Voltage still drops...new alt and batt

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2013, 07:33 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Voltage still drops...new alt and batt

Long story short...I'm on my 3rd replacement alt along with a new battery and I'm still having voltage drops.

Do I have a bad ground connection somewhere...would that cause this?

I just got back from a 300 mile round trip, monitoring batt voltage throughout the trip....the voltage would be in good range then all of a sudden drop to 12.8-12.9 and stay there for quite a period of time. It eventually goes back to normal, to around 13.7-13.8, with a/c and lights on but it's just a matter of time before it drops again. I've even seen the voltage go up to as high as 15.2 at one point.

Let me know what you guys think.

Thanks!
Old 07-05-2013, 07:40 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

What brand of alternator have you been using?
Old 07-05-2013, 08:00 PM

First one was from advance auto...it was a "Tough One" brand. It was new but started throwing the occasional batt light and wasn't putting out enough voltage...it ended up testing bad and the took it back.
I then ordered a remanufactured motorcraft one that's doing the same thing as the one I'm running now, which is also a remanufactured motorcraft.
Old 07-05-2013, 08:20 PM

Received 92 Likes on 44 Posts

Check the basics!!! Your alternator needs proper voltage to run correctly. Check power wire going to it, could be loose or corroded. Also check ground wire from battery to engine and from engine to frame
Old 07-05-2013, 09:05 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by mgauts
Check the basics!!! Your alternator needs proper voltage to run correctly. Check power wire going to it, could be loose or corroded. Also check ground wire from battery to engine and from engine to frame
Ya..do this then..I know that Fords are Motorcraft specific about some stuff and I have heard that the alternator is one of those things.
Old 07-05-2013, 10:22 PM
Cycle For Fun and Health

Received 495 Likes on 384 Posts

I got 3 remanufactured alternators in a row that were all bad from Murray's. The fourth one was the charm. Have them tested in store before you go. The instore test is not always gospel tho. After the install take your truck to the store for running check out.
Old 07-06-2013, 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by joe mcmillan
I got 3 remanufactured alternators in a row that were all bad from Murray's. The fourth one was the charm. Have them tested in store before you go. The instore test is not always gospel tho. After the install take your truck to the store for running check out.
What symptoms were you experiencing to know they were bad....were you having intermittent voltage drops?

I sent the last one back to tasca ford parts, that was doing this very same thing....I assumed it was a faulty voltage regulator. But after I got the replacement and it's still having this same issue, it's starting to make me think it might be something else like a ground connection etc.
Old 07-06-2013, 08:13 AM

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

What condition is the serpentine belt, tensioner, and idler pulleys in?
Old 07-06-2013, 11:46 AM

Received 49 Likes on 47 Posts

Don't rule out the obvious. Even if you've replaced the battery recently have it tested. I have a boat with four batteries and when they start to go bad the first symptom is always the voltage drop from 14 to 12 or 13 and even though the engines will still crank and start the alternators are never able to charge to 14 and the battery eventually does.
Old 07-06-2013, 12:16 PM

Yeah and I might add that it's a Maxx battery from Wal-Mart so you're probably right...the battery could be my problem.

Quick Reply: Voltage still drops...new alt and batt