Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

VMV Purge Valve/Line

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2015, 09:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default VMV Purge Valve/Line

I have the dreaded fuel smell in the cab or at idle. To date I have checked all plugs (and replaced), just did cam phasers, and replaced an o-ring on what I thought was the leak. Still getting the leak. By the way this is on a '05 5.4. Next step, I just ordered all new injectors, even though I do not see any fuel around them, I have one clicking (or more). I will also change the gaskets on the intake manifold. But, here is my real question. I think possibly the smell is coming from my purge line going from the intake manifold to the purge valve assembly??? I noticed yesterday that it seems to be pretty worn near the top (by the valve) and dry rotted. Could this be the problem all along? I realize with 142K on the truck, everything I am/have done needed to be done anyways. But your thoughts would be nice.
Old 03-06-2015, 10:02 AM

Received 97 Likes on 96 Posts

It is possible I suppose. Fuel vapor runs through there. You don't have to spend $40 on a whole new hose. You can get a fuel line and reuse the quick connects. It cost me less than $5. I think the size was 5/16, but I may be wrong.
Old 03-06-2015, 01:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I took another look at lunch, I can see how replacing the hose would be very easy. I will try your option. If the smell goes away, I am just that way, I will get the OEM part later on.
I took someone with me for a drive at lunch just to get a second opinion. He thinks it's more of a exhaust/fuel smell coming in through the vents. I know about the charcoal canister by the spare, but is there another filter in the engine bay? I ask this because once the truck is moving, the smell goes away. It is only during idle or at a stop light with the fan blowing. Once I hit the recirculation button, the smell goes away.

Quick Reply: VMV Purge Valve/Line