Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Vibration at complete stop when in drive

Old 12-14-2015, 05:40 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Vibration at complete stop when in drive

My truck has started doing a vibration that is coming from the motor area (feel it through the break peddle and floor board) also I can hear it.

When it happens is when I am in gear (drive) and I come to a stop. While stopped it makes this vibration and noise until I put it in neutral or take off. If it is vibrating and I gas it the vibration comes to a sudden stop. Any thoughts??

04 f150 100k miles 4x4 thanks
Old 12-14-2015, 05:59 PM

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Okay, clarify this for me (us)
In drive you do not notice it while travelling? Only when stopped and in drive (like a stop light)
It does not do it if you shifted the transmission in neutral? How about park?
How is the transmission shifting both between gears and forward/reverse/park?
Old 12-14-2015, 11:02 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ColdinCanada
Okay, clarify this for me (us) In drive you do not notice it while travelling? Only when stopped and in drive (like a stop light) It does not do it if you shifted the transmission in neutral? How about park? How is the transmission shifting both between gears and forward/reverse/park?
Only when stopped in drive. Never happens while shifting etc. after I sit at a stop sign for a few seconds it starts
Old 12-14-2015, 11:33 PM

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by whiteF1504x4

Only when stopped in drive. Never happens while shifting etc. after I sit at a stop sign for a few seconds it starts

Maybe fan kicking on and it is going bad causing the vibration?
Old 12-14-2015, 11:34 PM

Received 61 Likes on 58 Posts

any check engine lights?, miss firing? motor mounts broken? rough idle?
Old 12-15-2015, 09:51 AM

Received 83 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by whiteF1504x4
My truck has started doing a vibration that is coming from the motor area (feel it through the break peddle and floor board) also I can hear it.

When it happens is when I am in gear (drive) and I come to a stop. While stopped it makes this vibration and noise until I put it in neutral or take off. If it is vibrating and I gas it the vibration comes to a sudden stop. Any thoughts??

04 f150 100k miles 4x4 thanks
Don't know if this is it, just throwing it out there. Check the fan blade. I was missing just a part of one blade and my truck shook like crazy, I mean you could feel it in the wheel and the hood went nuts when open. Of course I did'nt feel it when driving. I was shocked how that little piece missing could cause such vibration. Needless to say it went away after I replaced the blade. Not hard job at all. Could be something else though
Old 12-15-2015, 09:53 AM
Some guy

Received 2,011 Likes on 1,279 Posts

How low is the idle when stopped in drive? When was the last tune up?
Old 12-15-2015, 01:43 PM

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Vibrations are tricky to diagnose online. If I had to guess out of the blue, I would say it's engine related. The light load placed on the engine in drive can be enough to disrupt an engine with a pre existing issue. Give it a little throttle and it finds its rhythm again. That's just a guess.

If it were me I would do some basic things first, change every fluid/filter that hasn't been done recently. This is regular maintenance anyway. Then check some of the spots suggested by people on the forums. These guys have saved me a lot of money over the years and it's a great resource. If it is still a mystery and it were me, I would take it in and have a professional shop diagnose it for me. It usually costs half an hour labour but it's worth it in my mind if you have a tricky problem.
The shop I go to is great and the techs usually tell me exactly what to do when I go to do it myself. Nothing wrong with calling in the pros if you get stumped!
Old 12-15-2015, 02:14 PM
Some guy

Received 2,011 Likes on 1,279 Posts

Originally Posted by ColdinCanada
Vibrations are tricky to diagnose online. If I had to guess out of the blue, I would say it's engine related. The light load placed on the engine in drive can be enough to disrupt an engine with a pre existing issue. Give it a little throttle and it finds its rhythm again. That's just a guess.

If it were me I would do some basic things first, change every fluid/filter that hasn't been done recently. This is regular maintenance anyway. Then check some of the spots suggested by people on the forums. These guys have saved me a lot of money over the years and it's a great resource. If it is still a mystery and it were me, I would take it in and have a professional shop diagnose it for me. It usually costs half an hour labour but it's worth it in my mind if you have a tricky problem.
The shop I go to is great and the techs usually tell me exactly what to do when I go to do it myself. Nothing wrong with calling in the pros if you get stumped!

Don't forget to clean the throttle body and MAF sensor. Two HUGE things that can be world-changing as far as the truck is concerned.
Old 12-15-2015, 02:53 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Does anyone else here think maybe a bad motor mount? I had an older car do exactly the same thing. It drove me nuts chasing for a long time. I never found it, a shop did because visually, it looked fine.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Vibration at complete stop when in drive