Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Very Abnormal Clicking Sound Behind Gauges

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2013, 09:43 PM
VFL

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

Default Very Abnormal Clicking Sound Behind Gauges

I was sitting in a drive thru line idling and waiting to give my order and all of the sudden I notice this weird irregular ticking behind the dash on the drivers side. My windows where open and I had no air on at all. Nothing seemed to act strange, but it did it all the way home. I popped the hood and couldn't hear it at all. I shut off the truck and restarted it and now it doesn't do it. Anyone have any idea what that was?
Old 09-03-2013, 10:40 PM

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

Well...I see ya got crickets so far. You're pretty sure it was between the cluster and the firewall (not in the engine compartment).

Electronic speedo & instrument cluster ... not a speedo cable.
Only real thing back there that is mechanical or could click would be a relay (except those are over on the passenger-side, right)? Something with the brake pedal? I know that IWE solenoid is right there on the other side of the firewall, but if you couldn't hear it outside the truck....damn.

Sometimes my "throttle-by-wire" assembly makes noise...but that's only if I am on the gas and it's more of a faint creaking.

Weird.
Old 09-03-2013, 10:47 PM
VFL

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

It was very strange. I thought maybe the brake booster was the noise, but I couldn't hear it even with my head right by it. It isn't a very loud tick so it may have been drained out by the sound of the operating engine.

Quick Reply: Very Abnormal Clicking Sound Behind Gauges