Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Vents not working properly

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2013, 04:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vents not working properly

Hi Guys,
I've got an 08 F150 FX4 that I purchased used back in April. Back then, I had to replace the blend door motor. It's been extremely cold here in Wyoming this past week and just today I've discovered a new problem on my way to church this AM. When I push the button to select heat to go to the floor only, the air blows full speed out of the dash, very minimal to the floor if any. The floor/defrost button works perfectly, but I've noticed when I push floor/dash, again, it's mostly if not all dash blowing. It was -24 here this AM, and it was my feet that needed the heat the most. Can anyone give me some direction of where to start with this problem?
Thanks!
Old 12-08-2013, 05:17 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The 08's are bad for this. There is a mode door in the plenum behind the center of the dash. There is foam on the edge of the door that the glue melts off and ends up sticking somewhere else, jambing up the door. You can remove the radio and the climate control head, open the plenum a bit to force your hand in and start ripping out foam. But, the proper fix is to remove the dash and replace the plenum. Hopefully this is not your problem but sure sounds like it. Good luck
Old 12-08-2013, 06:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Kobi,
After doing alot of reading, Im fearful that is my problem. I've had the stereo and center counsole out before when replacing the blend door motor. Do you know how difficult the fix you mentioned is? Do you know of any youtube videos or pictures of my issue?
Thanks for all the help!
Old 12-09-2013, 08:32 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry, I don't have pictures or video. Just remebering back to the days of doing them. But, if you do take the route of gaining access to the mode door and pulling out foam, know that it can be difficult to get it all as you can not see. Its all by your feelers. Also, the door will not seal properly anymore and you will always some airflow out the vents

Quick Reply: Vents not working properly