Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

VCT Replacement Solenoid Video Guide

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2014, 05:01 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default VCT Replacement Solenoid Video Guide

I decided to make a video on the replacement of a VCT solenoid for my 2005 5.4 f150. Fairly simple process for experienced wrench turners but I think it is very easy to make silly mistakes that would be very costly in time and money.

Hope you enjoy...
Old 01-10-2014, 08:09 PM

Received 98 Likes on 89 Posts

Good video. Very informative and good idea on tool you would need. I am replacing mine soon once I find time for the truck after renos. But I was wondering about t-25 or t-27??? I had written down in my notes that it was a T-27. Was your T-25 a little loose? Probably not much torque on those bolts anyways so it will probably work but I always thought it was a 27.

Hows the truck running afterwards? Sound better? Perform better? I've heard reports about less power after switching to the newer solenoid.
Old 01-10-2014, 09:54 PM

Great video, I just recently did mine. No codes were thrown but I still decided to change them in hopes the sound goes away likes other peoples. I removed mine and they were clean. 154,500 miles of synthetic oil. They looked so clean which made me feel bad to swap them, but it wasn't the newest technology. The sound didn't go away for me.
Old 01-10-2014, 11:56 PM

Originally Posted by corey_lax
Good video. Very informative and good idea on tool you would need. I am replacing mine soon once I find time for the truck after renos. But I was wondering about t-25 or t-27??? I had written down in my notes that it was a T-27. Was your T-25 a little loose? Probably not much torque on those bolts anyways so it will probably work but I always thought it was a 27.

Hows the truck running afterwards? Sound better? Perform better? I've heard reports about less power after switching to the newer solenoid.
Yeah I think the T-25 was a bit loose so T-27 may be the exact size, but you are right the torque is basically hand tool tight. After replacing passenger side (bank 1) I didn't notice a difference but after replacing driver side the truck seemed to run better. It is hard to say though, it has it's good days and bad days so time will tell. Glad you found the video useful!

Originally Posted by BuYA
Great video, I just recently did mine. No codes were thrown but I still decided to change them in hopes the sound goes away likes other peoples. I removed mine and they were clean. 154,500 miles of synthetic oil. They looked so clean which made me feel bad to swap them, but it wasn't the newest technology. The sound didn't go away for me.
If you still have noise you may look into the timing chain tensioners, and guides. I found pieces of my chain guides in the oil pan when doing the oil pan gasket. That is why I picked up the entire phaser timing chain kit-I know the guides were in pieces so at least that needs to be fixed.

Quick Reply: VCT Replacement Solenoid Video Guide