Go Back   Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans > Late Model F150s > 2004 - 2008 Ford F150
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?


Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-04-2014, 08:05 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
08screwCA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 796
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Thanked 49 Times in 48 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default vct and idle

Just picked up an edge evolution today. Trucks had a bit of rough idle prior. With the monitoring ability my rpm at idle jumps between 650-675 ish. Also monitoring variable cam timing which goes from 0-1 when the idle is rough. Any ideas? Cam phasers vcts (revised part #'s) timing chain/guides all done motorcraft through ford about 10 months ago.
08screwCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 09:52 AM   #2
Senior Member
5 Year Member
 
dnlow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Posts: 972
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

I recently cleaned the throttle body on my 2005 5.4L and it really helped to smooth out a minor rough idle. It was fairly clean and I was surprised how much better it was. Just an idea since it is something that is easy to do and just cost $5, so if it did not help you would not be out much.
dnlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 11:43 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
08screwCA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 796
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Thanked 49 Times in 48 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnlow View Post
I recently cleaned the throttle body on my 2005 5.4L and it really helped to smooth out a minor rough idle. It was fairly clean and I was surprised how much better it was. Just an idea since it is something that is easy to do and just cost $5, so if it did not help you would not be out much.
Ok ill try that first thanks man
08screwCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 03:35 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 110
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Clean your maf sensor too with maf cleaner. Helps a lot also
IceFishinFool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 04:38 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Especial86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 3,096
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Thanked 266 Times in 228 Posts
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Default

If all else fails change your oil to 5w-30. This will help if the rough idle is oil pressure/VCT related... The VCT solenoids may also need to be cleaned due to debris on the screens..
Especial86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 06:31 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
08screwCA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 796
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Thanked 49 Times in 48 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Especial86 View Post
If all else fails change your oil to 5w-30. This will help if the rough idle is oil pressure/VCT related... The VCT solenoids may also need to be cleaned due to debris on the screens..
Cleaned after that short of a time? Mines an 08 with brand new vcts last September
08screwCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 11:51 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Especial86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 3,096
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Thanked 266 Times in 228 Posts
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08screwCA View Post
Cleaned after that short of a time? Mines an 08 with brand new vcts last September
Well I suggest you try the TB and MAF cleanings first. But yes, if all else fails change the oil to 5w-30...If that does not do it then pull the solenoids for and inspection and cleaning.. The slight variation in VCT at idle is what leads me to believe there may be a Hangup at the solenoids..
Especial86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 06:23 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
08screwCA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 796
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Thanked 49 Times in 48 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Especial86 View Post

Well I suggest you try the TB and MAF cleanings first. But yes, if all else fails change the oil to 5w-30...If that does not do it then pull the solenoids for and inspection and cleaning.. The slight variation in VCT at idle is what leads me to believe there may be a Hangup at the solenoids..
I've done the maf sensor and removed my entire throttle body. Seems to be a lot smoother at idle and on the gas. Also bought some weather stripping and re sealed my air box. Thanks
08screwCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 06:23 PM
 
 
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Join F150 Forum

 

The Mustang Source
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:55 PM.


Copyright 2006 - 20011 F150forum.com
This site is in no way affiliated with the Ford Motor Company.