Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Vacumming ceramic pieces out of cylinder

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2016, 04:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vacumming ceramic pieces out of cylinder

Im trying to vacum out the ceramic pieces from broken spark plugs out of my cylinder using a hose and shop vac! Anyone have any good ideas how to attach the hose to the shop vac? The hose im using is significantly smaller than the shop vac hose!
Old 04-03-2016, 09:34 AM
Camping enthusiast

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Chill_Will90
Im trying to vacum out the ceramic pieces from broken spark plugs out of my cylinder using a hose and shop vac! Anyone have any good ideas how to attach the hose to the shop vac? The hose im using is significantly smaller than the shop vac hose!

I had small pieces fall in the cyclinder to after a plug change. I just used a blow gun with a few quick blast of air and they came right out. I even confirmed with a bore camera.
Old 04-03-2016, 11:13 AM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

Compressed air as mentioned is the best way to get the cylinder clear, you can also crank the engine over and let cylinder compression blow it out.
Old 04-03-2016, 03:33 PM

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I still with all the tutorials on how to swap plugs on 4.6 and 5.4 3V mod motors understand why people insist on trying to vacuum out the piece of debris instead of using compressed air and a wand to blow them out. If you don't have a compressor then dont do the job or go get a compressor. You cannot effectively vacuum out that area.
Old 04-03-2016, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by 4.6owner
I still with all the tutorials on how to swap plugs on 4.6 and 5.4 3V mod motors understand why people insist on trying to vacuum out the piece of debris instead of using compressed air and a wand to blow them out. If you don't have a compressor then dont do the job or go get a compressor. You cannot effectively vacuum out that area.
Well the reason i am doing this is becuase the idiot mechanics wanted to try to send my truck to the dealer and have them get the "stuck" pieces out!
Old 04-03-2016, 07:41 PM

Get yourself one of these

and one of these
Amazon.com: Vividia 8mm USB Flexible Inspection Camera Borescope Endoscope: Camera & Photo Amazon.com: Vividia 8mm USB Flexible Inspection Camera Borescope Endoscope: Camera & Photo

or these if you are on a budget
Generic® 10M 30ft USB Waterproof Endoscope Borescope Inspection Camera Pibe Locator: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific Generic® 10M 30ft USB Waterproof Endoscope Borescope Inspection Camera Pibe Locator: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

and blast the debris out with the compressor and air gun and then inspect with a bore camera or endoscope.

You will be surprised how handy the camera is in many automotive, plumbing and around the house stuff.
Old 04-03-2016, 07:47 PM

Get yourself one of these

and one of these
Amazon.com: Vividia 8mm USB Flexible Inspection Camera Borescope Endoscope: Camera & Photo

or these if you are on a budget
Generic® 10M 30ft USB Waterproof Endoscope Borescope Inspection Camera Pibe Locator: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

and blast the debris out with the compressor and air gun and then inspect with a bore camera or endoscope.

You will be surprised how handy the camera is in many automotive, plumbing and around the house stuff.
I actually ended up buying a bore camera and i love it! I got a crap ton of that ceramic out! Ill post a pic of it when i get a chance!
Old 04-03-2016, 08:15 PM

Honestly I wouldn't worry a ton about the ceramic pieces so much as if the ground strap broke off and was on top of the piston.
Old 04-03-2016, 08:19 PM

Honestly I wouldn't worry a ton about the ceramic pieces so much as if the ground strap broke off and was on top of the piston.
I didnt see the ground strap in there so im assuming they got it out already!
Old 04-06-2016, 01:41 AM

Here are the pieces i vacuumed out.

Quick Reply: Vacumming ceramic pieces out of cylinder