Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Used headlight lens restore product....

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2011, 07:20 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Used headlight lens restore product....

My dad bought a lens restore product and used it on my sisters car and it turned out pretty good! But her headlights were pretty cloudy.. So i thought id use it on my truck I only had a little bit of cloudiness in my headlights around the edges.. But after I used the product, it made the whole damn headlight cloudy! So I'm asking if anyone has and remedies that will clear my headlights up or should I just buy new housings? Any input is appreciated
Old 12-22-2011, 07:25 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

AutoGeek has one that uses a drill attachemet,Diamondite I think. I've watched
the video. I've tried some others, that require hand sanding without much luck.
Old 12-22-2011, 07:31 PM
Mark

Received 2,417 Likes on 2,118 Posts

That drill attachment and buffing compound works awesome.
Old 12-24-2011, 07:02 PM

I tried everything I could think of and they were still cloudy.. I was washin my truck today and when it came to shining my tires, I came up with the idea of a little bit of shine on the lights, made them look brand new! This should hold me over til I buy new housings.. I also thought about original armor all.. I'll try it soon, but for now she's pretty as a diamond.
Old 12-24-2011, 10:08 PM

Received 55 Likes on 53 Posts

Sand them with 800-1000 grit wet sand paper then shoot them with clear.... if they look better with armor all or are clear when running water across them then clearing them will help. do a couple light coats, let them dry. sand smooth again.... and shoot them again...let them dry... then polish them out.....
Old 12-24-2011, 10:14 PM
Blown Mafia

Received 105 Likes on 99 Posts

I've had the best luck using a drill mounted pad with compound.
Old 12-24-2011, 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by 07_F150_XLT_SCab
Sand them with 800-1000 grit wet sand paper then shoot them with clear.... if they look better with armor all or are clear when running water across them then clearing them will help. do a couple light coats, let them dry. sand smooth again.... and shoot them again...let them dry... then polish them out.....
Where can I buy some clear? Any specific brand? And what kind of polish do you recommend? And 800-1000 grit sand paper won't scratch the headlight? I'm not familiar with the specifics of the grit of sandpaper... The only things I've used sand paper on is wood and metal..
Old 12-24-2011, 11:08 PM

Received 55 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by TylerF150
Where can I buy some clear? Any specific brand? And what kind of polish do you recommend? And 800-1000 grit sand paper won't scratch the headlight? I'm not familiar with the specifics of the grit of sandpaper... The only things I've used sand paper on is wood and metal..
Any auto parts store will stock the clear.... stay away from rust-oleam (sp?) brand clear ... stays foggy..... yes the sand paper will scratch, but at that grit its a little more than rubbing newspaper across the surface and it will look like white and foggy when done....then rinse it with dish soap. rub down with acetone (fingernail polish remover) let it dry then shoot it... once you clear it, it will be clear again and the cloudiness will go away.... as far polishing compund I use Meguier's ultimate polishing compound... takes a little effort, but works good.....
Old 12-24-2011, 11:34 PM

Originally Posted by 07_F150_XLT_SCab

Any auto parts store will stock the clear.... stay away from rust-oleam (sp?) brand clear ... stays foggy..... yes the sand paper will scratch, but at that grit its a little more than rubbing newspaper across the surface and it will look like white and foggy when done....then rinse it with dish soap. rub down with acetone (fingernail polish remover) let it dry then shoot it... once you clear it, it will be clear again and the cloudiness will go away.... as far polishing compund I use Meguier's ultimate polishing compound... takes a little effort, but works good.....
Okay thank you brother! I'll try that, see if I can't get the original clear lens back

Quick Reply: Used headlight lens restore product....