Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Used '06 FX4 Considerations

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2016, 04:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Used '06 FX4 Considerations

I've always owned Jeeps, but am considering switching to trucks! I'm considering a used '06 F150 4WD FX4 listed locally with 85k miles for $11,000 with leather and a center console.

What common things should I be looking for if take a look at it?

Would you recommend an '06, and what price would you pay at this mileage?

I've been doing research, and see that there are issues with the two piece plugs in the 5.4L 3V V8. I'm not a heavy user, I'd occasionally pull an enclosed trailer at 4-5k lbs. Thanks!
Old 09-18-2016, 07:41 PM

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

I was in the same boat a smidgen over a year ago. Here is my thread: https://www.f150forum.com/f4/first-t...stions-309250/

Around 100K seems to be the "sweet spot" for these trucks, less a and the price really goes up, more and the price stays about the same. 85K is below average IMO. I was all about mileage vs. price. Now I see the value in a well-maintained/cared for truck, I am convinced mine was well cared for.

FX4 with leather is the way to go. As I have observed in ad's most trucks are about the same price regardless of build package. You are better off getting a loaded one, it adds little to the price when used at this age/mileage.

BTW, I built a diesel CJ-7 (now has Cummins) http://www.fourwheeler.com/project-v...eep-cj7-yj-tj/

and currently have a 220K mile XJ, also Grand Waggy diesel project.
Old 09-18-2016, 08:30 PM

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

That seems like a fair price around by me in WI especially if body is in good shape. Is it a supercrew? Issues to look for: yes definitely the plugs, they may have been changed already to the new two piece plugs. If not they can be a pain and do a search on cam phasers, these motors have problems with the timing system. I think the same think tank designed the plugs and timing system:-) Nice if you can get the maintenance records.
Old 09-18-2016, 09:16 PM

I'm a bit concerned reading all the threads about Cam phaser issues. Would you recommend this truck if maintenance records aren't available, or the phasers haven't been fixed?

How much is it going to cost to have the phasers properly replaced?

Last edited by revus7313; 09-18-2016 at 09:28 PM.
Old 09-18-2016, 09:52 PM

Tough to say, have you driven it? Once it's warmed up if there's a distinctive knock that's usually a good sign. Thing about phasers is some guys never touch them and they make noise and never have a issue, some guys replace everything and knock comes back, some guys let it knock and engine is ruined, some guys fix it and never have a issue! Clear as mud I guess. Tough call cuz some think it's fine to spend $2000 for a design flaw and others risk it. If you can get records and really get a good test drive that will tell you a lot.
The following users liked this post:
revus7313 (09-18-2016)
Old 09-18-2016, 10:16 PM

Thanks!

What should I be looking for on a test drive? I'll be listening for the knocking sound after a few minutes warming up, but don't think he has extensive maintenance records so I'm assuming they and the plugs need to be replaced.
Old 09-18-2016, 10:43 PM

Give it a good drive and listen to it when it idles, youll be able to tell if its a bad knock type sound. These motors are noisy and the fuel injectors tick loud which is normal. Dont want to scare you off cause they are pretty good trucks, but if it were me and it knocked I would walk away. Also listen when its started for the first when you get there if its been sitting for awhile, if you here a long clatter the tensioner seal is bad and this can start the phaser problems. Good luck!
Old 09-19-2016, 09:18 AM

Received 691 Likes on 568 Posts

Originally Posted by HubFord
As I have observed in ad's most trucks are about the same price regardless of build package. You are better off getting a loaded one, it adds little to the price when used at this age/mileage.
Except the King Ranch. It is in my experience usually priced higher than other models, but worth it IMO. Sounds like a decent deal. The phaser issue is something you have to figure out. Take it to a mechanic who is familiar with the issue after its warmed or do some research and then check it out after its warmed. I did the latter and the issue was completely new to me as well. I was able to diagnose the issue on every truck I drove. I bought one with the issue but used it in negotiation to get a better price. Mine is not to bad yet but I plan on having the timing done after tax return time.
Old 09-19-2016, 09:32 AM
Mark

Received 2,417 Likes on 2,118 Posts

Originally Posted by WIF-150
Give it a good drive and listen to it when it idles, youll be able to tell if its a bad knock type sound. These motors are noisy and the fuel injectors tick loud which is normal. Dont want to scare you off cause they are pretty good trucks, but if it were me and it knocked I would walk away. Also listen when its started for the first when you get there if its been sitting for awhile, if you here a long clatter the tensioner seal is bad and this can start the phaser problems. Good luck!
Don't mistake a passenger side manifold leak for timing issues ...another common problem with the 5.4... ensure you kick it into 4H and Low during your test drive.
Old 09-19-2016, 09:37 AM

Received 691 Likes on 568 Posts

Originally Posted by techrep
Don't mistake a passenger side manifold leak for timing issues ...another common problem with the 5.4...

Great point. The timing issues sounds more like a diesel. The leaky manifold is more of a tick.
The following users liked this post:
techrep (09-19-2016)

Quick Reply: Used '06 FX4 Considerations