Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

upper ball joints

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2009, 04:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default upper ball joints

I haven't looked thru every posting but can somebody answer a question?

I have an 04 F150 new body style 4x4. I installed a 2.5" leveling kit two years ago and now the upper ball joints are loose. I've searched and found that the ball joints are part of the upper control arms, is this true? Some part stores say they can get just the ball joints and that they are a press in fit, while other stores say that you have to buy the whole arm. It looks like they are made into the arms on my truck, does anyone know if Ford had design changes for this year or what. Big difference in price so that's why I'm asking. Thanks for any help.
Old 07-12-2009, 04:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jnsbutler
I haven't looked thru every posting but can somebody answer a question?

I have an 04 F150 new body style 4x4. I installed a 2.5" leveling kit two years ago and now the upper ball joints are loose. I've searched and found that the ball joints are part of the upper control arms, is this true? Some part stores say they can get just the ball joints and that they are a press in fit, while other stores say that you have to buy the whole arm. It looks like they are made into the arms on my truck, does anyone know if Ford had design changes for this year or what. Big difference in price so that's why I'm asking. Thanks for any help.
I have 06 xlt 4x4,and my upper control arms are all one piece.I dont know of any place,or web site that i have found that sells only the ball joints.Which parts store said they can get you a press on fit?Personally i think their full of ****,but hey thats my 2cents,lol

Go find, Atom,ask him,he wil know for sure
Old 07-12-2009, 05:26 PM
Goombah Stomper

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

they told me mine werent replaceable. the parts stores i asked had ball joints but it was for the heritage edition since that was made in 04 also. i had to buy new upper control arms, but i went ahead and replaced them with Total Chaos control arms
Old 07-12-2009, 06:39 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

they are 1 piece unit, throw them away and buy new ones. i love and hate the new way of bj's--install time is literally minutes, but cost is more, if you have to pay a shop it's a draw on cost

Originally Posted by JorgeRod54
Total Chaos control arms
waste of $$ IMO for your setup
Old 07-12-2009, 06:45 PM

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

you cannot press in these balljoints, i replaced one of mine not too long abck got it form tasca for 84 bucks shipped, my unlce was curious while i was puttin my new one in and decide to tear the old one apart, he ground down the pressed lip on the ball joint were it is machined and saw how its surrounded by a nylon sleve and there is no way to replace it that would be worth the money when you could just buy the new ones

Quick Reply: upper ball joints