Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2009, 11:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default upgrade

So my plan is exhaust, CAI, then chip for my F150. Question is would I see enough gains to justify a true dual exhaust or do I stay single, then do I run 2.5" or 3.0"? My plan is Aero Turbine muffler. Suggestions or input appreciated.
Old 12-21-2009, 11:37 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i would run true dual 2.5" all the way out the back
Old 12-21-2009, 11:42 AM
BLOWN club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^ +1
Old 12-23-2009, 03:13 PM

So I have decided that it'd probably be best for my wallet to just do a cat-back right now. Being a student ruins some of the fun. Is there a company that makes a cat-back kit without a muffler so I can just add the one that I want in?
Old 12-23-2009, 03:28 PM

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts

You don't specify your year or engine, but changing your exhaust will result in minimal (if any) performance or MPG gains. In fact, you may actually hurt your torque.

The same (minimal gains) is true for the CAI. A cheap ambient intake mod is the Gotts mod (less than $15). In fact, the wrong intake can actually cause a lean condition.

Your best bang for the buck will be a tuner with a custom tune. Drive it with the tune and then if you decide you still need gains, then you can get the tune re-written for your mods (intake and exhaust). Plus your tuner can give you a better estimate of the potential gains.
Old 12-23-2009, 06:13 PM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by shotgun
You don't specify your year or engine, but changing your exhaust will result in minimal (if any) performance or MPG gains. In fact, you may actually hurt your torque.

The same (minimal gains) is true for the CAI. A cheap ambient intake mod is the Gotts mod (less than $15). In fact, the wrong intake can actually cause a lean condition.

Your best bang for the buck will be a tuner with a custom tune. Drive it with the tune and then if you decide you still need gains, then you can get the tune re-written for your mods (intake and exhaust). Plus your tuner can give you a better estimate of the potential gains.
I agree with this response to a point; any one of these mods will not give you any real seat of the pants increases, but all together will wake up the engine and compliment each other. If you go with a tuner first with a custom tune, it usually asks you if you have any other mods. Adding the tuner without the other mods will not net you much either. If you answer yes, the timing and fuel delivery is modified and you will notice some performance increase, assuming you did do the other mods.

So, bottom line as I see it, decide what you are really planning to do. If it's only going to be a tuner, then do that first with a custom tune to give you some slight increases in RPM shift points, and a bit of advance (timing). You can buy a cheaper "chip" to do this though over a tuner. If you also plan to add an exhaust and CIA, then I'd do them first, and then order the custom "tune" that reflects all three (saving you money on having to buy two different custom tunes). As far as a CAI, the GOTTS mod is as good as some of the CAI kits that are being sold as far as HP/TQ gains go.

Do not go over 2.5 inches with your exhaust, as you will loose torque, as even the 5.4 does not require a large tube exhaust; some back pressure is good; using a large exhaust would hurt you.

Last edited by Mod (Ret.); 12-23-2009 at 06:19 PM.
Old 12-24-2009, 09:03 PM

I plan on doing the tune and I have read a lot about custom tunes in the aftermarket forum. It sounds like a lot of people like the custom tunes from Troyer so I might look into that. I plan on doing the Exhaust and intake first to save me the money from two custom tunes.

I wasn't sure if going to 3" would be too much so that's good to know. Still hoping to find a 2.5" straight pipe cat-back that I can just add a muffler into. I have looked at the AF1 intake and the K&N. Not sure if there's too much of a difference in CAI's. It might depend on if I can get a deal on anything through my brother.
Old 12-25-2009, 08:49 AM

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

For your exhaust you'll just have to go to a muffler store and have them fabricate you something like you want, just tell em what you want them to do and it'll maybe run you 100 to 150 bucks
Old 12-25-2009, 10:01 AM

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by dachezza
I plan on doing the tune and I have read a lot about custom tunes in the aftermarket forum. It sounds like a lot of people like the custom tunes from Troyer so I might look into that.
Another option is Gryphon from PHP.

Originally Posted by dachezza
I have looked at the AF1 intake and the K&N. Not sure if there's too much of a difference in CAI's. It might depend on if I can get a deal on anything through my brother.
You can save yourself some money for the tuner and custom tune.

http://www.f150online.com/forums/art...ight=gotts+mod

http://www.f150online.com/forums/exh...ight=gotts+mod

Quick Reply: upgrade