Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Update: Spark Plug Chg/Debris- Shaving Cream/Running Great!

Old 08-06-2010, 10:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Update: Spark Plug Chg/Debris- Shaving Cream/Running Great!

First off, many many thanks to the guys at a local FORD service dept. and 70f100longbed for their tremendous help!!!!

After removing the broken extractor!!, I could see with the bore scope there was plenty of spark plug debris in the cylinder and some others and i knew that from looking at the extracted tips. (My experience was, if you didn't push down far enough the extractor would not catch or would strip out, push down far enough and it busted the ends of the plugs) but anyway, here is how it went from there.................................

After a days or so of trying everything i could come up with including a couple of big shop vacs and numerous hoses and tubing, I could not get the debris from the edge of the piston and cyl. walls.

So I went with the advise of using Shaving Cream, i first filled the cylds with shaving cream, rotated the eng by hand going thru the firing order and as each piston was at the top I shop vac it with the different size hoses. I then refilled all cylds again, (after i disabled the inertia switch and unplugged injector connectors) this time i bumped the starter over a few times till it blew the shaving cream out, went back and vac all cylds again. Put new plugs in, bumped and turned eng over with starter, took plugs out and cleaned, vac all cylds again. Looking with bore scope all cylds where clean and clear, replaced plugs and coils and started cranking it over, clipped the injectors connectors back on, reset inertia switch and after a 6 or 8 tries it fired up, i held it at 1500/2000 RPM's till it cleared up. Lots of with smoke/steam from the cream, after a half hour or so of running up to temperature the eng runs as smooth and quite as ever. SUCCESS....Finally!!!

When you shoot the shaving cream (with hose/long straw, big mess) down in the cylinders as it expands it picks up the debris, brings it up where it can the be pushed out of the plug hole and exhaust valve. Go figure....I have never ever heard of such a thing, but yes it worked.

Again, hats off to all that helped me in this ORDEAL!!! And to the awesome customer service at FORD.

However, I did find out the very best Extractor tool for this job.......................The one that somebody else uses
Old 08-06-2010, 10:48 AM

Received 147 Likes on 78 Posts

Glad everything worked out.
Old 08-06-2010, 10:51 AM
big cube 426

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

great news. who would have thought shaving cream.
Old 08-06-2010, 11:19 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

Hey GATORB8, we should cut/paste this tip into the spark plug sticky.
Old 08-06-2010, 11:24 AM

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

Sweet nice trick....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Update: Spark Plug Chg/Debris- Shaving Cream/Running Great!