Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Unusual Power Window Problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2013, 06:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Unusual Power Window Problem

I have a 2004 Ford F150 XLT Super Crew cab RWD with 168,000 miles. The passenger side front and rear windows will go down but not up. This problem exists whether I use the individual door switches or the driver master control switch. The driver side front and rear windows work fine from the individual switch in the back and the driver master control switch. I have replaced all the switches including the driver's master control. I have replaced all regulators and motors. I have replaced the relay and done electrical checks. There is power to the down terminal from each door switch and from the driver master control switches but no power going to the up terminal on any of these same switches. I've been working on this for 3 days and am completely lost for a solution.
Old 11-09-2013, 07:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It could just be that both front and rear passenger side window regulator motors went out at the same time, just a guess though, because my girlfriends father's front passenger window did the same thing so he got me to install a new one and it works good as new
Old 11-10-2013, 07:20 PM

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

If evey thing is hooked back up wait till dark and go out and turn the key to "on" and see if all the light on each window switch turns on. Also make sure that the window lock is off cus that turns the lights on and off too. This will test power to each switch and 1 of the 2 grounds at each switch too. Then press up and down at each switch and see if the switch light turns off.
The following users liked this post:
32 ford (11-11-2014)
Old 11-10-2013, 10:34 PM
Cycle For Fun and Health

Received 495 Likes on 384 Posts

All of my windows work fine. I do have a couple of switches that do not light up. Can the lights in the switches be replaced or do the switches need to be replaced?
Old 11-11-2013, 01:06 AM

Interesting turn of events. After getting so frustrated I kicked the truck, yelled at the wife, sent the kids to bed and threw a wrench in disgust, I decided to just button everything up and go to the dealer the next day. After putting everything back together without clamping the windows back to the regulators, I pushed the windows to the up position and wedged them in place with cardboard, I backed the truck out of the garage and parked it in the driveway. Just for grins I pushed the master control buttons for both passenger side windows. I could hear the motors running both up and down. It seems as long as the doors are closed the motors run fine from any of the switches, but if I open the passenger doors the switches only work for down but not for up. Has anyone else ever experienced this? I've searched through all of the forums and don't find anyone mentioning this symptom.
Old 11-11-2013, 04:42 AM

Originally Posted by joe mcmillan
All of my windows work fine. I do have a couple of switches that do not light up. Can the lights in the switches be replaced or do the switches need to be replaced?
I would think if you got skills and the right tools you could but for the most part they would be non user serviceable.

Sounds like one of the wires in the boot from the door to the body have failed from stress. Had a truck that the rear speakers didnt work and found after I ran new wires back here that the wire had broke inside the wire. Very hard to find but thats what it sounds like.
Old 11-11-2013, 02:24 PM

I think you are right about a wire having failed. My guess would be the wire is in the driver's door boot since it seems to affect both the passenger front and rear window operation. I can't find anything in the forums that say the passenger front and rear window switches and motors are linked other than through the driver's master control switch or the relay. I'm searching for a wiring diagram now so I may identify which wire is causing the problem.
Old 11-11-2013, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by dflawrence
I think you are right about a wire having failed. My guess would be the wire is in the driver's door boot since it seems to affect both the passenger front and rear window operation. I can't find anything in the forums that say the passenger front and rear window switches and motors are linked other than through the driver's master control switch or the relay. I'm searching for a wiring diagram now so I may identify which wire is causing the problem.
You might get lucky and be able to see a burnt wire in the door bundle. A little sparking in the wire my have discolored it and make it an ez fix. Post what ch find I do like a good challenge and its even better to find the fix. If its the wiring it may become a more common problem as our trucks age.
Old 01-15-2014, 04:47 PM

Did you ever figure out a solution to this issue? The reason I ask is I am having a simular problem. Mine is only in the passager front window though. It goes down but not up. Let me know. Ive been at it for two weeks now and cant figure this out for the life of me. I have replaced the regulator and driver side switch.
Old 02-23-2014, 01:21 AM

Default same issue

I have the same darn issue. My passenger window went down and then wouldn't go back up. I've changed regulator, new pass switch and new master driver switch. Fixed it for a day. Then both fronts went down and wouldnt go up. Thought since I put in a aftermarket master switch that was the problem but it isn't. It's weird......old master switch in all windows work except passenger up. New aftermarket master switch and pass all work fine except driver won't go up.....would a relay cause this????? short somewhere??? I'm at a loss

Quick Reply: Unusual Power Window Problem