Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Uniball control arm clearance question.

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2016, 11:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Uniball control arm clearance question.

I just finished up a full brake job and noticed I need upper and lower ball joints. I currently have the 4wd rancho quick lift struts with stock 20" lariat rims and 275/65 20 nitro terragrapplers.
I am in the market to do uniball UCA and have only been able to find that 1" uniballs should work fine and 1.25" uniballs may rub.

1st question: where would they rub, I'm assuming it is due to the uniball joint having a wider diameter and touching the tire. I currently have about 1 7/8" from center of ball joint to tire sidewall. Uniball dimensions I found look like they have a radius of 1 3/8" to edge of cup for 1.25 uniball.

2nd question: does anyone have experience with the procomp or fabtech UCA. I know I can fit the icons and am willing to go that route if need be but would like to save a few hundred bucks if I can clear the 1.25" uniball.

Thanks for the response. And please no negative comments on my set up I am not interested or have the money in doing a full lift or coilovers. Believe me I would if I could I've done about three days of research on this and haven't turned up the results I need. Thanks
Old 07-10-2016, 04:37 PM

Received 3,055 Likes on 1,685 Posts

How many inches did the 4wd quick lifts raise your front end and do your upper bjs contact the coil?

Sorry, I don't have any answers to your questions and I'm not posting to be negative or tell you to change. I'm just curious as the only time I've seen the 4x4 quick lifts on a 2wd was only by mistake.
Old 07-10-2016, 05:43 PM

It raises it an added inch over the 2wd model strut. From my research the only difference in 2wd vs 4wd stock suspension is the strut assemblies the upper and lower control arms are the same. My ball joints only touch when the truck is jacked up.
Old 07-10-2016, 06:23 PM

Received 3,055 Likes on 1,685 Posts

Originally Posted by moshride294
It raises it an added inch over the 2wd model strut. From my research the only difference in 2wd vs 4wd stock suspension is the strut assemblies the upper and lower control arms are the same. My ball joints only touch when the truck is jacked up.
They also have different spindles. 4x4 trucks have a longer spindle. That's how they're an inch higher but their uca angles are the same.

I meant like, what were your before and after measurements from the center of the wheel to the fender arch. I'm curious how much lift you have.

Sorry, not trying to get off topic or hinder your thread, just curious.
Old 07-10-2016, 06:39 PM

Not sure of before but they are 24" now

Quick Reply: Uniball control arm clearance question.