Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Underhood vibration/buzz on cold start

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 01:52 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Underhood vibration/buzz on cold start

Hi all.

I have been having an issue on my truck lately when i start it in the mornings or late night. I think it may be power steering related but i am not sure.

Truck starts fine. I back it out of the driveway and go down the street. Hit a red light and i get a loud vibration noise from under my hood/deep in dash area. it happens more so if i slightly turn the wheels at red lights, shift into neutral and it goes away, shift back into drive and it comes right back. sometimes it will do it with the wheel un-turned. As soon as the truck warms us it goes away.

fluid levels are fine. no loss of driveability but it is annoying as hell. help!
Old 02-07-2012, 08:06 AM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I had the same issue. Mine was the plastic shroud around the radiator. Some of the fasteners had worked loose over the years and just needed a little TLC. Maybe you have the same issue. Turning the wheel when stopped and shifting into neutral will change engine load and will effect RPM and hence the perceived change in the vibration.
Old 02-07-2012, 10:11 PM
Certified Ford Technician

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I also had a similar issue, the intake tube pulled out of the fender and the hard plastic was rattling against the sheet metal
Old 02-08-2012, 03:28 AM
Resident Metalhead

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bleufox99
I also had a similar issue, the intake tube pulled out of the fender and the hard plastic was rattling against the sheet metal
I had the same thing happen to me. Luckily, I drive with at least my window down if not the other three when I can, so I could very clearly hear the plastic in the rattle, popped the hood, took a little look, "Oh, how did that come out", pushed the intake tube back into the fender and it went away.

Quick Reply: Underhood vibration/buzz on cold start