Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Twin turbo idea.

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2013, 07:34 PM

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Twin turbo idea.

In the next couple years I want to twin turbo the truck. I'm starting the plan now so I can slowly buy parts.

The STS would be awesome but you lose four wheel drive capability IMO.

So I was think mount the turbos in the bed and build a box around them. To keep them cool I would run dual e fans to force air around the turbos. The exhaust I would run strait off the turbos to cherry bomber pipes straight up. Pipe everything under the truck. I would only lose approximately 1 psi because of the length but if I could keep the turbos cool enough it would be a gain of quite a bit hp.

I have to decide on the turbo. Any recommendation? I would like them to spool pretty early but have room to grow when I build the motor.

Then I want to use STS's oil system to keep the turbos oiled since they would naturally drain.

Intercooler ideas? I'm thinking two smaller inter coolers instead of one large one.

Blow off valves. Electronic boost control.

I'm missing something I swear. The filters will be cutouts in the box so I should be getting pretty cold air.

I need lots of info.
Ill upgrade the file system to run about ten psi to start off so about 5 to 6 a turbo would be good to start out.
Old 02-20-2013, 08:59 PM

Received 195 Likes on 171 Posts

Hmmm sounds pretty cool. I honestly have no help what so ever for you tho. You could just put the turbos in a tool chest in the back with efans and box them in inside the box so then you have a tool box and a turbo holder of sorts. Sounds very complicated tho so I'm just gunna stick with a whipple lol.
Old 02-20-2013, 09:24 PM
Mugicinal Engineer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You dont by chance own a E39 do you...?
Old 02-20-2013, 09:31 PM

Ya I'm gonna do two small boxes in front of the wheel wells since that space is kind of useless. I love the idea of doing what hasn't been done before.
Old 02-20-2013, 09:32 PM

What's an e39?
Old 02-20-2013, 10:28 PM

Received 195 Likes on 171 Posts

It's a BMW I think lol
Old 02-20-2013, 10:58 PM

I defiantly don't have one of those. Haha
Old 02-21-2013, 04:54 AM

Update. Got to call but I'm pretty sure I'm gonna be going with the STS universal twin kit. Since I just have to pipe it.

I have a stupid question that Im pretty sure i know but I want confirmation.
The turbos get set for about 7 psi the website said. So if I want to turn boost up I just have to adjust the waste gate and blow off valves, right?
If I use electronic boost control it should be all the much easier. At least that's what I figure.
Old 02-21-2013, 09:28 AM
Noobie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would just be the wastegate. All the BOV does is release the forced air before the throttle body. For example, if you're in boost and hauling ***** then let off all that air will hit the throttle body w/ the butterfly closed and eventually will tear it up. That's where the BOV comes in. It "blows-off" all that air so it doesn't damage the TB.

Yes, an E39 is a 96-02 BMW 5-series.

Back on topic: if you do a remote mount turbo (in the back) they say you can go w/o an intercooler since the airflow under the truck is sufficient to keep the turbos cool as well as keeping the return piping cool so the forced air is cool also.
Old 02-21-2013, 10:08 AM

Received 532 Likes on 438 Posts

Originally Posted by I just don't know
Update. Got to call but I'm pretty sure I'm gonna be going with the STS universal twin kit. Since I just have to pipe it.

I have a stupid question that Im pretty sure i know but I want confirmation.
The turbos get set for about 7 psi the website said. So if I want to turn boost up I just have to adjust the waste gate and blow off valves, right?
If I use electronic boost control it should be all the much easier. At least that's what I figure.
Yeah, changing out the spring on the waste-gate will regulate boost pressures..

If you go twin turbo, you may want to consider flipping a new set of exhaust manifolds to face forward, and bolting the turbos to them.. This will require some welding and fab (exhaust flanges) but the turbos will work much better in that location with the hot exhaust..

I've been mounting to a decision myself about a turbo, infact I already have 2, but the hot side wheel on my "free" precision turbo had some chipping on the fins.. (Previous owners cat broke apart).

Most of these pics are of the new turbo I can make all mine for very cheap $400, (its my bro in laws from a prelude turbo build.) (He bought an evolution 10 instead, so no more turbo prelude). Its mine to install at anytime!!! . The dismantled turbo is my free turbo with the damaged hot side wheel... I still don't know if I want to remote mount my turbo however.. I would prefer to supercharge if a great deal presents itself..

I have a tial wastegate, air to air intercooler, air to water intercooler, wideband and controller, and tons of piping. I just need an oil pump and an inline booster pump for the fuel pump (possibly), bigger injectors, colder plugs, and downtime...

I've been on the fence about remote mounting a turbo in New England. I've considered building a skid plate, shield to accommodate the turbo from catching debris. I have all but given up on a twin turbo build as it much more costly, and more complicated..

Lol! Edit!!!! That pic of a bucket in a pool of ***** is from a job I did yesterday! Lol, I accidentally hit that pic on my phone... Lol!!!
Attached Thumbnails Twin turbo idea.-image-1301997598.jpg   Twin turbo idea.-image-1519041679.jpg   Twin turbo idea.-image-2263554472.jpg   Twin turbo idea.-image-61791337.jpg   Twin turbo idea.-image-627173895.jpg  

Twin turbo idea.-image-2422732256.jpg   Twin turbo idea.-image-4193795659.jpg  

Last edited by Especial86; 02-21-2013 at 10:13 AM.

Quick Reply: Twin turbo idea.