Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Tuners?

Old 02-21-2008, 09:02 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Question Tuners?

hey...i was looking into getting a tuner of some sort...and came across the Edge Evolution EEF2400 F150 Programmer....is it any good? looks real cool and easy to use...any input is appreciated...im more or less looking for a better economy tune...since i live in NYC and get roughly 7.5 to 8mpg....lol
Old 02-21-2008, 09:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Welcome and I think most on this site perfer the X2 or X3. Try the search function and I think you will end up with an X3 Tuner. I personally have the X3 and have no driect dealings/knowledge of the Edge products.
Old 02-21-2008, 10:40 AM
08 February TOTM

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

I have had three different tuners on my truck so far. I guess I can't make up my mined

My fist tuner was the Hypertech Power Programmer model #41043
A BIG wast of money period. The power gains weren't there and it didn't make the truck drive any better. I sold it one ebay after a couple of months playing with it.

My second tuner was the Edge EEF2400
I bought it used and was happy with it but I couldn't run it in level three because of the problem it was causing with the torque converter in my truck. Not everybody had this problem but I did. Now Edge has an update on there website that fixes this issue.
I had to send my unit in for a new LCD screen because it started to get a burn mark in it. In the mean time the dealer reflashed my PCM and Edge instead of fixing mine just sent me out a brand new unit. Well the truck didn't like it for some reason. The new unit they sent me wouldn't allow my truck to shift out of second gear in my custom program. All I changed was the octane for 93?? and for some reason it made my truck feel like it was overtunned...if that makes any since. It didn't feel right or even the same as the original unit did. I was afraid that this could cause damage. The guys at Edge were great and were trying to fix it. They said it could have something to do with the fact that I have had a few tuners programmed in the past (he said they do leave fooprints) and that it was reflashed. He sent me out a CD disc and was gonna do some kind of update to address the issues but at that point I decided to sell it and get something else.

Third is the Xcal3 with Troyer's tunes
I talked with mike for at least an hour about the issues I had with the other tuners and how my truck reacted with them along with all my other concerns. I have had his tunes for about two months now and so far I haven't had any issues with them or how my truck runs or dives. I have been running 93 performance since I got it (level3 for the Edge). No torque converter shuddering
I like these tunes better. The trans shifts are better and somehow it seems to have opened the exhaust up some. I still have the oem exhaust but now somehow these tunes have opened that up and it doesn't sound stock anymore when your getting on it. It's like the guy in the car beside you hears it and it's all on from there
Old 02-21-2008, 11:03 AM

Very good write up and info you passed on whitecrystal1 that should help him and others looking into tuners.
Old 02-21-2008, 11:06 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

thanks a whole lot...that is all very helpful...i sord of just liked the look of the edge model since it mounts on dash and has all the 1/4mile and 0-60 info....but the Xcal system sounds like the better choice
Old 02-21-2008, 11:22 AM

It is and good luck.
Old 02-21-2008, 01:56 PM

It's all in what you want. Now,there are custom tunes for the Edge Evoloution. Since my 6000 lb truck will never perform like a Mustang I'll stay with level 2.
Old 02-21-2008, 08:22 PM

where you get the xcal3 and whats the price cause i am looking to replace my tuner. i use a diablosport predator and like it but i need the most bang for the buck.
Old 02-21-2008, 08:40 PM
08 February TOTM

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by rngr23
where you get the xcal3 and whats the price cause i am looking to replace my tuner. i use a diablosport predator and like it but i need the most bang for the buck.
HERE

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tuners?