Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Tuners?

Old 03-30-2009, 01:41 PM
Justin

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Tuners?

Well I just received a Superchips Cortex 1950 tuner over the weekend and of course had to install it. Currently it is only set to the 87 octane "Quick Tune" setting, but does have "Tow" and "Performance" quick tunes as well as I can set my own advanced/custom tunes.

My question for everyone is, does anyone have experience with this tuner? Any good or bad reviews? Thoughts on the product?

Of course my truck is a 2006 F150 Screw XLT 5.4L FFV 4x4. No intake or exhaust or other custom items, except a K&N drop in filter.
Old 03-30-2009, 04:13 PM
American Muscle

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by MHC-F150
Well I just received a Superchips Cortex 1950 tuner over the weekend and of course had to install it. Currently it is only set to the 87 octane "Quick Tune" setting, but does have "Tow" and "Performance" quick tunes as well as I can set my own advanced/custom tunes.

My question for everyone is, does anyone have experience with this tuner? Any good or bad reviews? Thoughts on the product?

Of course my truck is a 2006 F150 Screw XLT 5.4L FFV 4x4. No intake or exhaust or other custom items, except a K&N drop in filter.
I have the flashpaq 1815 and noticed i got better MPG with stock than i did 87. However, Ron over at the forums got my tuner sent in and now im getting 16.5 highway...Still a little dissapointed, the power is nice, and the drivability is way way better than stock. will probably end up selling mine and get one from VMP performance. Let me know if you know of anyone looking for a flashpaq, has 87, tow, 91, stock, stock with changes, and the option for free update to include the Millage xs tune. (the reason it doesnt have the millage on it now is they removed it when they custom tuned it for the CAI. )
Old 03-30-2009, 04:22 PM
Justin

Originally Posted by dplummer87
I have the flashpaq 1815 and noticed i got better MPG with stock than i did 87. However, Ron over at the forums got my tuner sent in and now im getting 16.5 highway...Still a little dissapointed, the power is nice, and the drivability is way way better than stock. will probably end up selling mine and get one from VMP performance. Let me know if you know of anyone looking for a flashpaq, has 87, tow, 91, stock, stock with changes, and the option for free update to include the Millage xs tune. (the reason it doesnt have the millage on it now is they removed it when they custom tuned it for the CAI. )
Thanks for the reply.

This was a gift from a friend and I haven't tested much out yet, being I've only had it 3 days. So I'll post back my results after a longer test time frame. I mostly want increased mpgs and drivability aspects, not really looking for much more power (even though it's nice). But I may just have to save for an intake & exhaust now.

Sorry I haven't researched, but does the Flashpaq work on many model Fords like the Cortex does? Don't know too many with 04+ F150s, but do know a few with old 150's and Expy's.

Now I did have a SuperChips "Chip" in my '99 Ranger that never had any problems, but that was back in '00 or '01, so I don't know how the products have changed.

Last edited by MHC-F150; 03-30-2009 at 04:23 PM. Reason: addition
Old 03-30-2009, 07:05 PM
American Muscle

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

It works for 04 and up models. F-series gas engines, expeditions, explorers, 2004 V10, Lincoln navigator, Ford ranger, lincolm mark lt, lincoln navigator, mazfa B-Series,

It only works on some of the years for those vehicles, i know it has to be atleast a 2004 for any of them though, there is a full list on autoanything.com Its the SuperChips 1815.
Old 03-30-2009, 07:14 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

hey dplummer87 i sent you a pm with afew questions just a heads up thanks man
Old 03-30-2009, 07:29 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i kinda regret my purchase with the flashpaq now that i found out about the much better sounding ones for about 50 dollars more i think im with dplummer87 on sellin mine and upgrading to the edge evo
Old 03-30-2009, 08:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i would highhly reccomend the xcal 2 or 3. i had tunes from troyer and vmp. troyer tunes r good but in my opinion their no better than vmp. troyer has a rediculous wait time sometimes 6 months. cant wait that long no more i switched to vmp for 60$ a tune and his tunes are just as good if not better. he also has a tuner buy back program im not sure if ur tuner lists under it but i would check just in case. www.vmptuning.com

Tim
Old 03-31-2009, 10:44 AM
Justin

Sorry for my lack of knowledge on the programmer products, but what are the most common drawbacks or problems experienced? What damage can/do they cause to the trucks, motor, tranny, etc?

I don't plan on running any aggressive settings, mostly just the 87 octane rating and maybe the tow setting this summer. Just want to know of items to keep a look out for that may experience issues.

Thanks!
Old 03-31-2009, 10:59 AM
Notorious Thread Editor

Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 06fordf150
i kinda regret my purchase with the flashpaq now that i found out about the much better sounding ones for about 50 dollars more i think im with dplummer87 on sellin mine and upgrading to the edge evo
That's not really an upgrade. If your want the edge, get the Gryphon from powerhungryperformance.com. It is custom tuned by Bill who wrote the software for the Edge.

Canned programmers are a waste when you can get custom for a few bucks more.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tuners?