Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Tuned it today,results?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2014, 11:03 PM
Rhino hauler

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tuned it today,results?

We'll I've just bought this truck. And I already had my DiabloSport intune from when I used it on my 05 gt stang. So today I updated the tuner and dropped an 87 octane tune into her. And it made it a good bit more snappier on the throttle. And firmer shifts. Not bad!!! I need to do my plugs next the truck just rolled 100k. But I'm to afraid to mess with the plugs my self so I'm just going to send it to ford to have them done. The quoted me 366$ for the plug jobe, I love wrenching on my vehicles. It's just a shame that these plugs can turn into such a much larger problem.
Old 01-18-2014, 11:38 PM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Its really not a bad job unless you get the dreaded busted spark plug that these trucks are known for having. In which case you would simply use the tool made for extracting the busted plug out of these engines ( I have this tool set for sale if your interested).

It only took me a few hours (including taking all the old ignition coils off,spraying penetrating oil down the plug holes and let sit about 15 minutes, then crack a 16th of a turn and let set an additional 30 minutes). first few plugs came out like a breeze. But then I had 3 plugs snap off in the head in a row. luckily with the special tool I was able to get them out (took a little extra time but it wasn't bad). Put antisieze on all the new plugs and re installed them and installed new accel ignition coils seeming I was right there doing plugs anyhow and I was done. And ran great!.

People hear about the plug issues on these trucks and get intimidated but If you hope for the best and prepare for the worst (have the lesli tool set on hand) then it is nothing that even some one with basic mechanical knowledge couldn't pull off.

so save yourself the cost of a trip to the dealers and dive in!.
unless you feel more comfortable with them doing it....just letting you know its not to bad of a job.

Also, did the dealer quote you that price assuming everything went smoothly? ...I have seen alot of guys make mention that the dealers price sky rockets per broken plug they run into ....which is a common thing with these engines so that price could very well jump considerably before you know it. so just be aware of that.

Last edited by Dusterdude72; 01-18-2014 at 11:40 PM.
Old 01-18-2014, 11:57 PM
Rhino hauler

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No they did not say any thing about additional cost for broken plugs. I guess I should ask, can I rent that tool at like auto zone? I usually do all my mechanic work my self on my stangs and trucks but for 366$ dollars I would not have to deal with some thing going stupidly sideways and having to pull a head. I watched u tube on the plug changing thing. And some would just buzz them out with am impact after a about 15-20 min of soaking em with like bp blaster.
Old 01-19-2014, 12:02 AM

No, I do not believe its a tool you can rent.

And yes I have seen some use an impact to remove them and said it worked great. But me personally.....I am not comfortable with doing that. If you run into one plug that is stuck reaaallllll good and go to buzz it out of its home and end up stripping the threads on your aluminum head instead. It could turn into a messy situation real quick lol. Not saying it cant be done or hasn't been done. Just that I PERSONALLY wouldn't feel comfortable with it lol.

I sent you a PM, check it when you get the chance.
Old 01-19-2014, 12:04 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I don't use anything but a 3/8 ingersoll impact and do it when the truck is hot. More likely to brake if motor is cold. Havnt had to use my lisle tool yet fortunately.
Old 01-19-2014, 12:09 AM

Originally Posted by backinblack04
I don't use anything but a 3/8 ingersoll impact and do it when the truck is hot. More likely to brake if motor is cold. Havnt had to use my lisle tool yet fortunately.

you have more ***** than I lol. Always been rule of thumb around here to not take spark plugs out of a warm aluminum head. I have seen stripped threads before and a buddy of mine actually removed a set this way....and by the time he went to reinstall the new plugs the engine had cooled off and the aluminum had contracted just enough that the actual spark plug hole shrunk and he wasn't able to reinstall the spark plugs.

Everyone has a way of doing things though and if it works for them....then more power to you. Maybe I am just too cautious LOL
Old 01-19-2014, 08:34 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just did my plugs yesterday, dealer quoted $412/plugs and labor. $87.50 more for each broken plug. Bought the Lisle tool and plugs and researched the job. Only had 7 of 8 come out in two pieces! The tool is a life saver and not hard at all to use. Go to "Engine & Drivetrain>How To: Spark plug change-2004-2008 5.4 3V V8" and follow kozal01's post. My $412 dealer quote would have escalated to $1,024.50 had I gone that route.

Trending Topics

Old 01-19-2014, 10:04 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Dusterdude72
you have more ***** than I lol. Always been rule of thumb around here to not take spark plugs out of a warm aluminum head. I have seen stripped threads before and a buddy of mine actually removed a set this way....and by the time he went to reinstall the new plugs the engine had cooled off and the aluminum had contracted just enough that the actual spark plug hole shrunk and he wasn't able to reinstall the spark plugs. Everyone has a way of doing things though and if it works for them....then more power to you. Maybe I am just too cautious LOL
My uncle is a master tech at ford for many years now and that's how he told me to do it. I did it that way to my truck and to an expedition and havnt broken one yet. The back ones you have to do by hand cause the impact won't fit back there. Also when I say I use a 3/8 impact when motor is warm you can't just go wide open on the impact trigger haha I'm only using about 1/2 trigger pull so it doesn't zip it out really quick it's main purpose is for the hammering action on the plug instead of slow twisting force by hand.
Old 01-19-2014, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by backinblack04
My uncle is a master tech at ford for many years now and that's how he told me to do it. I did it that way to my truck and to an expedition and havnt broken one yet. The back ones you have to do by hand cause the impact won't fit back there. Also when I say I use a 3/8 impact when motor is warm you can't just go wide open on the impact trigger haha I'm only using about 1/2 trigger pull so it doesn't zip it out really quick it's main purpose is for the hammering action on the plug instead of slow twisting force by hand.
Gotcha....To each his own. If it works for you.
Old 01-19-2014, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by 0488FB
Just did my plugs yesterday, dealer quoted $412/plugs and labor. $87.50 more for each broken plug. Bought the Lisle tool and plugs and researched the job. Only had 7 of 8 come out in two pieces! The tool is a life saver and not hard at all to use. Go to "Engine & Drivetrain>How To: Spark plug change-2004-2008 5.4 3V V8" and follow kozal01's post. My $412 dealer quote would have escalated to $1,024.50 had I gone that route.

That's exactly what I was talking about! . When getting a dealer quote you need to make sure to ask about any additional costs if they run into busted plug issues. They tend to quote you on a best case scenario. But if they run into issues...that quote can easily be doubled in no time.

Quick Reply: Tuned it today,results?