Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Trying to figure Amp drawing???? Battery wont start truck on super cold mornings

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2016, 03:59 PM

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Default Trying to figure Amp drawing???? Battery wont start truck on super cold mornings

05 Screw FX4. I only drive the beast once a week if that. New battery last year and also the year before. Aftermarket items are Edge Evo, Pioneer head unit, and after market remote start.
So here's my problem. If I let the truck sit for a week or so, and the weather is really cold, the battery isn't strong enough to start the truck. I decided to check the amp draw with the truck just sitting in the driveway. I pulled the fuse for the remote start. I pulled both radio fuses 5 amp and 20 amp. Doors are shut and just for the sake of it, I also turned the interior lights down. I have a kill switch as part of the remote start, and to be safe, I pushed it down like the hood was shut. I removed the positive terminal and set my multi-meter to 10 amps DC current check. But as soon as I go to test the system, it blows the fuse within 2 seconds. I know I don't have that big of a draw normally--- otherwise my battery would be toast in a day or so. So is there something I am missing?

The alternator is charging at 14 volts with the truck running. The battery seems to be taking a charge. I just feel like I have a slight draw as the truck sits. I can't figure out how to test it though and figure out if its the radio, remote start, or somehow the truck.

Ideas??

Dave
Old 02-21-2016, 08:53 PM

Received 267 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by jetchaser
05 Screw FX4. I only drive the beast once a week if that. New battery last year and also the year before. Aftermarket items are Edge Evo, Pioneer head unit, and after market remote start.
So here's my problem. If I let the truck sit for a week or so, and the weather is really cold, the battery isn't strong enough to start the truck. I decided to check the amp draw with the truck just sitting in the driveway. I pulled the fuse for the remote start. I pulled both radio fuses 5 amp and 20 amp. Doors are shut and just for the sake of it, I also turned the interior lights down. I have a kill switch as part of the remote start, and to be safe, I pushed it down like the hood was shut. I removed the positive terminal and set my multi-meter to 10 amps DC current check. But as soon as I go to test the system, it blows the fuse within 2 seconds. I know I don't have that big of a draw normally--- otherwise my battery would be toast in a day or so. So is there something I am missing?

The alternator is charging at 14 volts with the truck running. The battery seems to be taking a charge. I just feel like I have a slight draw as the truck sits. I can't figure out how to test it though and figure out if its the radio, remote start, or somehow the truck.

Ideas??

Dave

My Fluke has a 2nd red port (on multi meter) to plug the positive lead into when doing amp draw.

Figures 3-6 will show how to properly check for amp draw, then start pulling fused until the excessive draw goes away.

http://randysrepairshop.net/testing-...ery-drain.html
Old 02-22-2016, 02:02 AM
Gone Golfin

Received 2,271 Likes on 1,391 Posts

A battery that sits is naturally discharging. The extreme cold just makes the problem worse. The cold makes it harder to turn the engine over as well. More power needed and your battery is just sitting there slowly discharging.

The answer is a trickle charger or start the truck every couple of days and let it run for a few minutes or just drive it around the block a couple of times.

I'd assume when it warms up the problem is not as bad.

Another problem with the modern day Alternator is that they are designed more to maintain the voltage and not much else. Charging is slow. Not like the "Generators" of years gone by.
Old 02-22-2016, 06:51 AM
Mark

Received 2,417 Likes on 2,118 Posts

How many CCA’s does your Battery have ??
Old 02-23-2016, 08:22 AM

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

I believe that I bought an 850cc amp battery. I bought one a 2 winters ago when the temps were really low because it seemed drained. A year later during the cold days, again the battery wouldn't start the truck and flickered all the gauges. I know I should drive it more but I'm riding out my $500 beater for all its worth to save miles on the truck. The battery I have is from O'Reilly.

Anyone use a solar panel charger/maintainer? I know this is only a band aide on the problem.
Old 02-23-2016, 09:29 AM
Some guy

Received 2,025 Likes on 1,286 Posts

Originally Posted by jetchaser
I believe that I bought an 850cc amp battery. I bought one a 2 winters ago when the temps were really low because it seemed drained. A year later during the cold days, again the battery wouldn't start the truck and flickered all the gauges. I know I should drive it more but I'm riding out my $500 beater for all its worth to save miles on the truck. The battery I have is from O'Reilly.

Anyone use a solar panel charger/maintainer? I know this is only a band aide on the problem.
If your battery is just discharging naturally or due to a small amount of draw from the truck (which is normal), then that's not a Band Aid, that's the fix. You can put a maintainer charger on there all you want, preferably one that also has a desulfator.

Quick Reply: Trying to figure Amp drawing???? Battery wont start truck on super cold mornings