Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Trucks in the shop for the 30K service

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2007, 09:10 PM
08 February TOTM

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Trucks in the shop for the 30K service

Dropped it off yesterday. While there I am getting a few things looked at.

A/C:
same complaint as I read in most every thread. It takes about 20-minutes to start really cooling the cab. Even then the best temp it'll discharge out of the dash is between 46-52. It fluctuates between those temps. This mostly is when the outside temp is 95degs. If it gets to 100 or more it never gets cool enough to be comfortable.

Drivers door switch lights:
Not working

Clunking drive train:
Speeds between 10-30mph, intermittent clunk when changing gears. Seems to do it most when you take your foot off the accelerator then reapply it with out stopping in those speed ranges.

Hesitation:
Sometimes when you are rolling forward, not on the gas and moving real slow , then pressing the gas pedal hard it acts like it wants to stall then it goes. I think it may be in first then as it goes to second it chokes out before the shift. I don't have this problem with the Edge but I have it out of the truck right now and I have been noticing it. Thought I'd ask while it's there.

Passenger headlight:
The orange reflector is coming lose inside the assembly

Dealer called today and said the A/C compressor has bad seals and they are replacing it. I told him it never seemed to cool that well since it was new but this was the first time I complained about it. (I figured it was normal after reading many complaints here about it). They are replacing the door switch assembly too. He told me the mechanic was test driving the truck for the clunking and hesitation issues.

I hope he sees it doing it, if not, I told the service writer to call me and I'll go for a test drive with the mechanic. When I had my 02 it also shifted harsh sometimes in similar situations. They could never duplicate it and I wasn't able to get it to do it in their presence. This truck does do it a lot more though.

Last edited by whitecrystal1; 09-27-2007 at 11:35 PM.
Old 09-27-2007, 11:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Please post what they tell you about the clunk. I heard it once in my truck, but I thought it was possibly my golf bag that had shifted and struck the side of the bed. Just the other day, I had taken the bag out, but I swore I heard it again. I'd like to hear what it might be so I have something to tell my dealer when I go in with my truck.
Old 09-27-2007, 11:46 PM
08 February TOTM

I have two thoughts for it. I just hope they get it to do it, if not I hope it'll do it for me when I drive it with the mechanic. I think it's either the slip yoke or even possible the programming in the pcm. The reason for the second guess is because I was able (my self) to stop the 02 from doing it after I bought a Hypertech programmer for it. After changing the shift firmness it totally stopped doing it. I tried a Hypertech and my Edge on my 05 hoping it would also stop it but it hasn't. So I am kinda leaning toward the slip yoke causing it.
Old 09-28-2007, 01:49 AM
Beer Drinker

Received 65 Likes on 23 Posts

Pretty sure that I've experienced that same clunk several times myself.
Old 09-28-2007, 07:18 AM
NGM
Resident A-hole

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

That is the Ford clunk. Dodge is worse. Its the play in the drivetrain getting taken up when the throttle is pressed or released. They are gonna do U-joints and check the rearend. That or gonna tell you that they can't find a problem.
Old 09-28-2007, 08:48 AM
08 February TOTM

Originally Posted by NGM
That is the Ford clunk. Dodge is worse. Its the play in the drivetrain getting taken up when the throttle is pressed or released. They are gonna do U-joints and check the rearend. That or gonna tell you that they can't find a problem.
Rearend is what the service writer said when I described it to him. There is a TSB for all my complaints. I just looked these up. I hope they do all of them to it. If it's still doing anything when I pick it up I'm taking a copy of it with me to give to them.

05-26-11 Driveshaft slip-bump and or 05-10-12 Harsh shifts between 3-2 downshifts 17-25mph. I thinks both may apple to me. One is for the driveshaft slip yoke and the other is to reprogram pcm

06-8-2 Hesitation problem, valve body problem

06-4-9 Ac problem

Last edited by whitecrystal1; 09-28-2007 at 09:29 AM.
Old 09-28-2007, 10:28 AM
Ty

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

you sound like the customer from hell, lol

but you know how to get what you are entitled to, that is for sh\ure.
Old 09-28-2007, 10:35 AM
08 February TOTM

Originally Posted by Ty
you sound like the customer from hell, lol
Sometimes I think that's what they are thinking too. I do have a list of repairs that have been done on this truck.
Old 09-28-2007, 08:30 PM
08 February TOTM

Just picked the truck up, of course they couldn't duplicate the Hesitation or the clunking issue, but they did acknowledge the TSB. I have an appointment for a ride with the service manager the end of next week.

Also they said they didn't see anything wrong with the headlight So I took my service writer out and showed it to him. He said they will have to replace the whole assembly because it's sealed.

Lastly, I just noticed tonight that the only additional buttons that are working on my drivers door is the power door lock button. There are three different switch assembly's in there and they only replaced on of them. I have bulbs out on each one. I guess I'll have talk with them about that too.
Old 10-05-2007, 11:06 AM
08 February TOTM

*update*

Would you believe I had an appointment with the service manager for a ride to simulate what it's doing and he was NOT there I didn't get nasty but I was forward about my concerns with my truck. I told my service writer and some other (not sure who he was) that I would be happy to take anyone for a ride that I could just as easily show them what's going on with my truck. I then told them again about the TSBs stating this being an issue. That there was two of them, one having to due with a re-flash of the PCM and the other was to check the slip yoke for grease because some have left the factory without any and that the slip yoke would need to be indexed as well as greased.

Well, the good news is the other guy said to my service writer to perform both TSBs and will go from there and if this fixes it the service manager wouldn't even need to be involved.

Now explain to me why did I have to go through this to get the issue addressed? I'm happy they are doing the TSBs because I'm pretty sure it'll fix it. I had this issue with my 02 but I had problems simulating it to them. I had them call the factory rep to meet with me. I venting to him for at least a half hour about the issue and how it was being handled before we even went for a ride. Still, I was unable to simulate it but he did acknowledge it and said it wasn't anything to be concerned about as it wouldn't cause any problems with the truck. He stated that what I'm feeling is the tranny relieving pressure at the shift point. He also gave me a free 5-75k warranty to assure me not to worry about it. Well I ended up fixing it for the rest of the time that I owned it by buying a tuner and changing the shift pressure and rasing the shift point up 200 rpms. It never did it again. I drove it for 20k more miles before I traded it in.

I'm glad they are addressing the issue this time and I don't have to go to bat because I was ready for that this morning.
Now they are also going to address the rest of my concerns with the passenger headlight and the power window/power mirror switches on the drivers door that I told them about last week. So it should be good as gold when I pick it up laster today

Last edited by whitecrystal1; 10-05-2007 at 11:12 AM.

Quick Reply: Trucks in the shop for the 30K service