Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Trucks at the dealer getting plugs changed

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 11:35 AM
08 February TOTM

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Trucks at the dealer getting plugs changed

First let me say that Ford customer service sucks. They don't know their right hand from their left. I called 4 dealers before I decided on who was going to do my plugs. Normally I always do them myself, but I don't want the liability if one breaks. My dealer that I use said they would cover them under the 3/36 bumper to bumper warranty if any breaks, so did one other dealer. The other two dealers said plugs have no warranty and if any break I would be paying the bill to get them out. I called Ford customer service and ask about the statement noted in the TSB about coverage under the 3/36 and emission warranty. The guy I was talking to couldn't give me a straight answer at first and then seem to be making it up as we were talking.

At first he was saying it was up to the dealer. Then he said it would only be covered under the factory warranty if there was another problem that required the dealer to replace the plug. But not if I just wanted a plug change and they broke when being removed.

None of that really matters I guess, my dealer said if any break I won't have to pay any more to get them out. But my service rep kept saying he doesn't even recommend me doing them yet. The mechanic had a different opinion. I went for a test ride with him because of the drive line clunk came back and I wanted to make sure he felt it, which he did. I showed him the Brisk plugs I got from Troyer's last week and he liked the one piece assembly. He said you should never let the plugs stay in the engine for 100k even if they are rated for it. You loose efficiency way before that mileage.

The mechanic said he may have to replace my drive shaft I hope so and hopefully that fixes my problem.
Old 03-28-2008, 07:57 PM
Inaugural TOTM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Let us know how it works out for you. I'm still considering getting mine done before the truck hits 36k.
Old 03-28-2008, 10:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well gm cust service is the same way.. I called them when i had my 07 silverado.. i had a 3 way call with dealer and gm. I ask them point blank "will putting 20" rims on my truck void the warranty". Gm said "up to dealer" dealer said it would void warranty.. Then i replied that you are worried about 20" rims but other gm trucks of same size come with 20's and you want to void my warranty.. but pulling 4000 lbs day after day wont void my warranty and it could do much more damage... they both shut up at that point.. What a person has to do is get in good with one dealer.. send him a christmas card at christmas time or buy him a beer or somethkng... i was a service advisor and know that dealers can warrant alot of stuff... such as if your original warranty runs out by less than 30 days...he can still warranty it.. but it is up to the service manager.. also to putting 20's on that truck cannot legally void warranty.. only if it can be proved that the addition of those wheels caused the problem.
Old 03-29-2008, 01:43 AM

Your mechanic is correct. So are they going to install your Brisk plugs? Also I agree most service centers "suck". Thats why I don't even let the thought of "oh my vehice is under warranty I can't change anything" cross my mind. Shoot they will try and wiggle out of anything anyway so when I feel the need for speed I MOD.
Old 03-29-2008, 08:46 AM
08 February TOTM

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

Yes, I'm gonna give these Brisk plugs a try. Hopefully they do good. I mentioned to the mechanic about the new version that Champion just released and that they are platinum plugs too. He said you should never run Champion plugs in a Ford, then he said the same about Bosch plugs, I think I like this guy
Old 03-29-2008, 11:53 AM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by whitecrystal1
At first he was saying it was up to the dealer. Then he said it would only be covered under the factory warranty if there was another problem that required the dealer to replace the plug. But not if I just wanted a plug change and they broke when being removed.
thats easy .. just unplug one of the coils and run the truck for a few mins till it sets a random missfire code then plug the coil back up and drive to the dealer.... then there is a reason to change the plugs out under warranty.
Might have to do that a time or 2 before they will change the plugs first time i bet they will just erase the code.

do ya'll think that will work ?
Old 03-29-2008, 03:00 PM

gr8hntr I don't think it would work. Heck I think they would just replace the plug/ plugs that they think are defective. The code would let them know which plugs/coil misfired and that's all you would get replaced under warranty.
Old 03-30-2008, 06:58 PM

I just had mine changed by the dealer. The truck hat 80K on it when I bought it so I knew it needed done. Well, me dealer was well aware of the issues but said they were fairly good at getting them out, but still managed to break off four. The damages was 1.3 extra hours of labor to remove the 4 broken plugs.

I was mad, but since they only charged by ~100 bucks when they could have raped me further, I paid it.

The service manager did say that the replacement plugs were one piece.
Old 03-31-2008, 12:40 AM

HMMMM... Lime05 did they say what plugs they used?
Old 03-31-2008, 12:57 AM
Goombah Stomper

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

damn, i just hit 58K in mine. guess its time to replace mine?

Quick Reply: Trucks at the dealer getting plugs changed