Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Truck Pulls to the Right

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 12:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Truck Pulls to the Right

I have a 2004 F150 and when im goin down what appears to be a flat level road, and the steering wheel is dead center the truck pulls to the right and in order to drive straight i have to have the wheel in between 10 and 11 o clock. I had an alignment done on the truck and they said it was fine, they even swaped the tires from left to right and it still pulls. The tires had a rotation after that and the tires on the front now have more wear in the center then on the shoulders. The pull varies depedning on the crown of the road. I thin mamybe outer tie rod ends. Thanks in advance.
Old 01-04-2010, 01:14 PM
Dirty Rotten Scoundrel

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How many miles on your truck? Sounds like the front end may need some work. Tie rod ends or control arm bushings wear out and an alignment thats perfect one day becomes worthless after a couple turns and bumps. That Mini Cooper you ran over the other day may have caused some damage too.
Old 01-04-2010, 01:48 PM

I assume the truck hasn't been slid into a curb or vehicle collision. Have you had the brakes checked out? Maybe one is sticking. Do you know how long it has been doing this?
Old 01-04-2010, 03:12 PM

I have no idea how long its been doing this i bought with 124,000 kms and now its jsut over 132,000 kms when i bought it, it had the problem. If I am correct if a brake was sticking when i use the brakes there should be more pull yes? and no collisions or curbs that I know off. It must have been that damn smart cars I always run over. The steering has about .5 inch of play in it maybe more. but deffantly no more than a inch
Old 01-04-2010, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by mikemoncrieffe
I have no idea how long its been doing this i bought with 124,000 kms and now its jsut over 132,000 kms when i bought it, it had the problem. If I am correct if a brake was sticking when i use the brakes there should be more pull yes? and no collisions or curbs that I know off. It must have been that damn smart cars I always run over. The steering has about .5 inch of play in it maybe more. but deffantly no more than a inch
Have you noticed any abnormal wear on the tire you moved to the rear?

Since this has been happening since you bought the truck I would start from scratch. Check and make sure you have nothing in your front end that is bent or damaged. Even a little damage can cause big pulls.

If nothing is damaged, jack the truck up by the lower control arm do one side at a time. Shake the tire left to right, any play? If so check you tie rods this may take two people.

Shake the tire up and down, any play? if so check you wheel bearing.

Shake the tire diagonally, any play? If so check wheel bearings, ball joints, control arm bushings, tie rods.

Next you need to make sure you have one side jacked up by the lower control arm so the front end is still compressed. Using a prying tool put it under the tire and pull up on the tire, any play? if so check which ball joint.

You are mainly going to look at the right side, but to be complete repeat this on the other side. The left side can make the vehicle pull to the right. however less likely it is still possible.
Old 01-04-2010, 04:47 PM
Raoul Duke

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just hit something with the left side and youll be fine
Old 01-04-2010, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by 4ctnduction
nice
Old 01-04-2010, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by 4ctnduction
thats what i thought that too!! who needs parts when or dealers when you can just samash the left side. cheapest diy out there!
Old 01-04-2010, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by kifels
If nothing is damaged, jack the truck up by the lower control arm do one side at a time. Shake the tire left to right, any play? If so check you tie rods this may take two people.
I wouldn't recommend this. The front of the truck is meant to be lifted only by the reinforced areas of the frame rail immediately under the front doors. Check the owners manual or look for yourself. The lower control arm is not designed to be jacked. Also, it's a good idea to place the vehicle securely on jackstands before doing anything, the jack is only a lifting tool and should not be relied upon to hold the vehicle up. Especially if you are going to push/pull/shake it. Safety first, my 2˘.

Originally Posted by mikemoncrieffe
I have no idea how long its been doing this i bought with 124,000 kms and now its jsut over 132,000 kms when i bought it, it had the problem. If I am correct if a brake was sticking when i use the brakes there should be more pull yes?
When you have a front wheel off the ground, you should be able to spin the tire freely (Not in 4wd, vehicle off, brake pedal not depressed). If you can't, I would check your pads, calipers, etc. In my experience it is normal for a wheel to have some friction, but if the brakes are really the issue, you probly won't be able to spin it by hand.

Last edited by Keeblerz28; 01-04-2010 at 05:45 PM.
Old 01-04-2010, 06:56 PM

[quote=Keeblerz28;354082]I wouldn't recommend this. The front of the truck is meant to be lifted only by the reinforced areas of the frame rail immediately under the front doors. Check the owners manual or look for yourself. The lower control arm is not designed to be jacked. Also, it's a good idea to place the vehicle securely on jackstands before doing anything, the jack is only a lifting tool and should not be relied upon to hold the vehicle up. Especially if you are going to push/pull/shake it. Safety first, my 2˘.
quote]

So. What you mean to tell me is that what I was taught in school, tested on the to get my ASE certifications, and what I have been doing for years is wrong? My friend you are mistaken. Unfortunately the owner’s manual is not consulted for a problem like this nor does it tell you how to check your ball joints, and it is a guide to doing minor maintenance to your vehicle, such as changing your oil, or a flat tire. This is why there are mechanics. I happened to be one at Ford dealership for three years. So I find it quite odd that you are more educated than the people who tell me how to do my job.

Besides would you please explain to me how you are supposed to test a ball joint on a vehicle that has control arms in the front?

The only proper way to test a ball joint is to load the suspension and check for run out with a dial indicator. That is the proper, by the book, way to do it.

And how would you go about loading the suspension while getting the tire off the ground.

and as far as the jack stand goes, to each his own. Nothing but a waste of time in this particular case in my opinion. You are jacking the tire up off the ground just enough to put a pry bar underneath it, and you should not be going under the vehicle. if you would rather jack up the vehicle, put a jack stand under it, let it down, check for run out, jack the vehicle back up, remove the jack stand, and then let it down, be my guest. Just adds more time. In your case time may not be of the essence but try being a flat rate mechanic.

Quick Reply: Truck Pulls to the Right