Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Truck not "rolling"

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2016, 11:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Truck not "rolling"

This is a tough one for me to explain, even to my mechanic. So I am asking it here. Basically my truck does not roll. Now before we think brakes locked up, its not that at all. Truck rolls fine, but what i mean by roll is when it is in gear or drive. My truck does not roll or advance forward with no throttle input when in drive and you let off the brakes. I put my truck in drive and it doesnt go forward til i give it some throttle. I could put my truck in drive and step out knowing it wont go anywhere. Usually vehicles with auto trans will move or roll forward with out throttle. Any ideas on this would be helpful. Truck is a chevy....ok im kidding its a F150 2005 130,xxx miles with the 4.6l triton with 265 tires and a 2inch level. Maf has been cleaned, throttle body is clean, plugs were done last year, oil has been changed and from what i can tell my hubs are not locked up.
Old 01-09-2016, 12:14 AM
TOTM November 2019

Received 11,600 Likes on 6,204 Posts

Will it roll with no throttle in reverse?
Old 01-09-2016, 12:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It will roll in reverse its a slow and not that positive in gear feeling.
Old 01-09-2016, 09:14 AM
Cycle For Fun and Health

Received 495 Likes on 384 Posts

Mine will roll forward even on a slight incline.
2004 SC 4X4 4.6L
525 RPM idle
Old 01-09-2016, 09:26 AM
Mark

Received 2,417 Likes on 2,118 Posts

Check the E-brake...very common problem with it getting corroded and hanging up
Old 01-09-2016, 09:50 AM

Received 532 Likes on 438 Posts

Do the usual inspection stuff.
Check the color of the Trans fluid.
Make sure the shifter is seated completely in drive, and make sure you can get it to roll freely in neutral.
If none of this works then I'd suspect a slipping tourqe converter. You can look at the TC from the tranny inspection plug or by removing the inspection plate at the bottom of the Trans. If it looks bluish like a lot of heat has been getting to it then I'd definitely suspect a fluid flow or converter issue..
Old 01-09-2016, 09:57 AM
TOTM November 2019

Received 11,600 Likes on 6,204 Posts

Thats why I asked about it rolling in reverse. If it wont, I was leaning toward torque converter as well. But the suggestion to try and roll it while in neutral could rule out the e-brake real fast or point to it as the cause of resistance.
Old 01-09-2016, 10:19 AM

Received 48 Likes on 46 Posts

Same happened to me this past Monday and I was able to keep the motor running and in neutral while I was pulled 20 miles home to a tranny shop. I had been hearing a whine only whe.mn accelerating for about 3 months until this happened. What made me notice there was something wrong was when I could feel the tranny or what felt like the tranny slipping. After I felt that I pulled over just to make sure it was t something visible. Then I tried putting it in to drive to take off and nothing. Only RPMs would rev up but no forward,not even 2,1 or reverse.
Old 01-09-2016, 10:22 AM

Received 48 Likes on 46 Posts

This might be a little long but I found it very helpful. CONDITION: TORQUE CONVERTER GOING BAD 
SYMPTOM(S): Shudder, Sluggish/Delayed/Soft Shifts, Delayed Gear Engagement that Progresses to No Gear Engagement, Whining Sound at Start Up, Vehicle Moves But Engine Revs Higher Than Normal and Then Gets Better As the Engine and Transmission Warm up. 
CAUSE(S): Old/Worn Out Torque Converter, Wrong Torque Converter Installed, Vehicle Used for Heavy Towing, Harsh Driving Conditions
RECOMMENDED ACTION: Diagnose Problem and Repair
ESTIMATED DIAGNOSTIC COST: Repair Shop: $75 to $125 DIY Cost: $0
ESTIMATED COST: Replace Torque Converter: Repair Shop: $600 to $1000+ DIY Cost: $145 to $250
NOTE: When a torque converter fails it will sometimes disintegrate internally. When this happens you will hear a loud grinding/clacking sound coming from the area of the transmission. This is your signal to shut the engine off immediately to have any chance of saving the transmission.
WARNING: A torque converter can be in the process of failing for weeks or even months before it completely fails. Continuing to drive a vehicle with a "failing" torque converter is risky as the converter may disintegrate internally when it finally fails. When this happens, metal chards from the disintegrating torque converter will mix with the transmission fluid and get inside the transmission. If this occurs, a transmission rebuild or replacement would be necessary. However, if you find yourself in such a predicament, you may be able to save the transmission if you can quickly and safely pull off the roadway and shut the engine off.
: TORQUE CONVERTER GOING BAD 
SYMPTOM(S): Shudder, Sluggish/Delayed/Soft Shifts, Delayed Gear Engagement that Progresses to No Gear Engagement, Whining Sound at Start Up, Vehicle Moves But Engine Revs Higher Than Normal and Then Gets Better As the Engine and Transmission Warm up. 
CAUSE(S): Old/Worn Out Torque Converter, Wrong Torque Converter Installed, Vehicle Used for Heavy Towing, Harsh Driving Conditions
ESTIMATED COST: Replace Torque Converter: Repair Shop: $600 to $1000+ DIY Cost: $145 to $250
NOTE: When a torque converter fails it will sometimes disintegrate internally. When this happens you will hear a loud grinding/clacking sound coming from the area of the transmission. This is your signal to shut the engine off immediately to have any chance of saving the transmission.
WARNING: A torque converter can be in the process of failing for weeks or even months before it completely fails. Continuing to drive a vehicle with a "failing" torque converter is risky as the converter may disintegrate internally when it finally fails. When this happens, metal chards from the disintegrating torque converter will mix with the transmission fluid and get inside the transmission. If this occurs, a transmission rebuild or replacement would be necessary. However, if you find yourself in such a predicament, you may be able to save the transmission if you can quickly and safely pull off the roadway and shut the engine off.
: TORQUE CONVERTER GOING BAD 
Old 01-09-2016, 01:06 PM

Received 98 Likes on 89 Posts

Another thing to be aware of is that these trucks like to idle very low to save on fuel. You don't have to push the pedal down much to get up to 1500 RPM. This is designed to save fuel while idling.

Quick Reply: Truck not "rolling"