Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Truck locks up in reverse

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 06:46 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Truck locks up in reverse

H, I have an issue with my truck when backing up. When backing Up at low speed the truck will fetch up completely. It feels like I've backed into something, I always get out and look and there's never anything there. It has only happend three times, not sure what is causing it. It feels like it is in the rear end of the truck. Wondering if this has happend to anyone else and if anyone knows the cause. I'm thinking something loose in the e brake Mabey?

Thanks

Last edited by Kcan1; 02-16-2012 at 06:48 PM. Reason: Typo
The following users liked this post:
rod49 (08-15-2021)
Old 02-17-2012, 03:56 PM

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Not sure what the problem is with your truck, but the guy at my apartment had his Tahoe doing this and then realized that his brake calipers were hanging off the rotor and binding up against the wheel because the 2 pin/bolts that secure them were gone. Might want to pull a wheel or 2 off and see whats going on back there to be sure whats working and whats not.
The following users liked this post:
rod49 (08-15-2021)
Old 02-17-2012, 04:23 PM
Ford Enthusiast

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by superccs
Not sure what the problem is with your truck, but the guy at my apartment had his Tahoe doing this and then realized that his brake calipers were hanging off the rotor and binding up against the wheel because the 2 pin/bolts that secure them were gone. Might want to pull a wheel or 2 off and see whats going on back there to be sure whats working and whats not.
On top of checking this (because this is is cheaper) what happened to my ranger that did this was not so cheap of a fix. When my ranger did this I ended up finding out the front differential was dry. Took me almost a year to work up the courage I do this fix myself. It took 11 hours with three people when it should have only taken 5. But after I pulled my front differential out I found that the pinion gear in the front differential had been chewed to *****. But it did exactly what you are dying yours did.

Does it make like a thumping sound hen you drive forward for a few minutes??
Old 02-17-2012, 07:44 PM

yeah I was worried it might be in the diff, I've heard that these trucks are noted for rearend trouble. Gonna pull the wheels off thiss weekend and have a look. keeping my fingers crossed it somthing simple. thanks for the info.
Old 02-17-2012, 07:59 PM
Ford Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Kcan1
yeah I was worried it might be in the diff, I've heard that these trucks are noted for rearend trouble. Gonna pull the wheels off thiss weekend and have a look. keeping my fingers crossed it somthing simple. thanks for the info.
Does it make that thumping sound when you drive after it locks up??? Heck your front diff fluid....if its dry I'm 100% sure it's the same as my ranger...here's a pic of my rangers front diff
Attached Thumbnails Truck locks up in reverse-image-4000328287.jpg  
Old 02-17-2012, 08:17 PM

Man that diff is f****d!
It has only happend three times and i did'nt notice a thump. I will listen for it the next time it happens. think i will check the font and rear diff fluid tomorrow as well
Old 02-17-2012, 10:04 PM
Ford Enthusiast

Man that diff is f****d!
It has only happend three times and i did'nt notice a thump. I will listen for it the next time it happens. think i will check the font and rear diff fluid tomorrow as well
If its not thumping def check your breaks....you will most likely see some damage on the inside of the rim if your caliper is loose like the one member said...but also check the rear shoes...report back and let me know about the fluid levels
Old 02-18-2012, 07:07 PM

I checked the fluid in the diffs today, they were fine. took the wheels off the back and checked the calipers, they were secure. Didnt have time to get into the e brake or pull the front wheels off. Looking at the front calipers with the wheels on I could not see anything wrong. I'll have to try to get into the emergancey brake drum sometime and see whats happening there i guess.
Old 02-06-2020, 08:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I checked the fluid in the diffs today, they were fine. took the wheels off the back and checked the calipers, they were secure. Didnt have time to get into the e brake or pull the front wheels off. Looking at the front calipers with the wheels on I could not see anything wrong. I'll have to try to get into the emergancey brake drum sometime and see whats happening there i guess.
is it possible you have a brake caliper hanging or a worn hub bearing that allows the wheel to tilt out of alignment causing brake drag and heating?

Quick Reply: Truck locks up in reverse