Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

truck is lacking power.. any thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2009, 02:16 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default truck is lacking power.. any thoughts?

Its a '04 2wd 5.4 w/ 55,xxx miles When i was buying it 6 months ago i heard like a knocking/ticking noise coming from under the hood, sounds like a desil. I got asked a few times if it was desil, even from a girl, lol They checked it out before i bought it and the one tech said.. "the new ohv motors are pretty noisy and this is common". So ok, it has a warrenty with it till 100k so im not that worried bout it. Well now if i crack the gas like im getting on the e-way or passing someone it hessitates then goes for a sec. then kinda looses power. Still runs smooth just no ***** really, as if im pulling a 4 ton load behind me. Then it did it really bad and had almost no power all the way through a intersection then cleared up kinda. Any thoughts? mabey a fuel filter? Or engine problem? Sticking valve mabey? Id hate to bring it in and for it NOT to be covered under my "powertrain warrenty" if it was something else i can check out first.
Old 01-18-2009, 07:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My truck was doing the same thing. Last weekend though it got worse and it would only go 20mph. I got it towed to the dealer, they said #5 cylinder has no compression so they have taken the head off to inspect it and thats the last I have heard so far. Im calling them tomorrow for more info, but I think it started will a stuck or collapsed lifter.
Old 02-17-2009, 07:16 PM

Hey Froggy, any update on what the problem was?
Old 02-17-2009, 07:36 PM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

taubr unit, suggest sending him a private message.
Old 02-17-2009, 07:39 PM

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Default coil packs

remove and clean the coil pack connections where they meet the plugs
Old 02-17-2009, 08:11 PM

Taubr--I had what sounds like the exact same issues. Felt like my engine was just choking or something. RPM's were there, but no power. I cleaned injectors, replaced fuel filter, air filter, had major tune up, and even replaced the catalytic converters. Converters helped some, but it is still way too sluggish. The knocking is likely the cam phasers. You'll find posts all over this forum about this "known" issue with that motor.
Old 02-18-2009, 05:57 PM

wtf, damn fords! I searched and didnt really find a lot. I know my gas milage when from 19hwy to like 15 now. SUCKS! Its got like 55k on the clock, guess ill try and give it a good tuneup and try that out. Iv also read about the DBW not reading correctly also?
Old 02-18-2009, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by taubr unit
wtf, damn fords! I searched and didnt really find a lot. I know my gas milage when from 19hwy to like 15 now. SUCKS! Its got like 55k on the clock, guess ill try and give it a good tuneup and try that out. Iv also read about the DBW not reading correctly also?
I promised myself I would not be back but I had to help you out thats the same thing that happened to my motor to a dime. I have a 2005 with a 5.4 . I have a ford warrenty and i just got a answer from my dealer today thank god for my warrenty they said fords going to give me a long block (new motor) $7000 with labor . This new dealer that I'm working with is the best people I have ever talked to. The tech is so helpfull and the service manager is the best. Let us know what you find
Old 02-18-2009, 07:36 PM

so you have to pay 7k out of pocket for a new motor still under warrenty?? WTF is that?
Old 02-18-2009, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by taubr unit
so you have to pay 7k out of pocket for a new motor still under warrenty?? WTF is that?
no thats why i said good thing for the warrenty, ford paid for it under warrenty. but it took 6 mouths of one dealer fighting me and then i went to a new dealer it the tech at this new dealer new somthing was wrong just by the sound he kicks he realy new how to do his job

Quick Reply: truck is lacking power.. any thoughts?