Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Truck jerks in overdrive

Old 11-08-2016, 03:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Truck jerks in overdrive

Hello, I have a 2007 F150 lariat 5.4l and when driving it in overdrive typically in between 40-50 miles an hour give or take a few while the engine is at 1100-1300 rpms the truck will start jerking or bucking. If I give it more gas, enough to be at 1600-2000 rpms or to down shift into 3rd gear the truck will not jerk or anything. Does anybody know what's going on? I'm thinking weak coil or maybe program error?? Also I am not getting any codes. Thanks
Old 11-08-2016, 03:48 PM
SSDD

Received 1,611 Likes on 1,125 Posts

Sounds like a misfire.
Flashing check engine light?
How many miles on the truck?
Original plugs and coils?
Old 11-08-2016, 03:53 PM

Received 105 Likes on 84 Posts

It's more than likely a misfire. If you can pull codes it should be there even without a CEL. Last time my truck did it I had to change the coil on cylinder 2. Good luck.
Old 11-08-2016, 04:23 PM

I just bought it with 120,000 miles on it.
No lights flash that I'm aware of.
I had autozone check the codes and they didn't find anything, I don't know how good their equipment is.
As far as original plugs and coils.. I think so because the fuel filter was still original, leading me to believe it's never had a tune up.
Runs great other wise though. Power is there and gas mileage looks normal just jerks at that low rpm in overdrive and I'm praying it's not the transmission
Old 11-08-2016, 07:15 PM

Received 665 Likes on 517 Posts

Clean your MAF and throttle body. I would also drop your spare tire and check out your FPDM.
Also, might as well check out the condition of the foam around the air filter tray.
Old 11-08-2016, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by powerranger262
Clean your MAF and throttle body. I would also drop your spare tire and check out your FPDM.
Also, might as well check out the condition of the foam around the air filter tray.
I'm not sure what the FPDM but the air filter got changed the other day it was disgusting and the foam around the tray is almost gone. What impact could that foam have since it's underneath the filter? And I'll try cleaning the MAF Thursday.
Old 11-08-2016, 10:23 PM
workin for parts!!!

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

plugs..change them..almost gauranteed.
Old 11-08-2016, 10:45 PM

Received 353 Likes on 285 Posts

More than likely a faulty coil. But yeah, most likely a misfire.
Old 11-08-2016, 10:53 PM

Received 665 Likes on 517 Posts

Originally Posted by Brad33
I'm not sure what the FPDM but the air filter got changed the other day it was disgusting and the foam around the tray is almost gone. What impact could that foam have since it's underneath the filter? And I'll try cleaning the MAF Thursday.
Those are just a few things, that are common issues on these trucks.
FPDM - Fuel pump driver module. Mounted to the rear crossmember, and tends to corrode out on the backside, and let moisture in. Causes all kinds of goofy issues.
What I mean about the foam is, when you undo the two clips to slide the tray out, there should be a foam seal, on the tray itself. If it's gone, you can make a new seal out of weatherstripping. The peel and stick kind.
Chances are, that you need plugs, or a coil-on-plug, but these are also a few things to look at.
The reason I said a MAF and throttle body cleaning, is because I had the exact same problem as you, and after doing those two things, and a new fuel filter, my truck was cured. Mine actually got so bad, that it went into limp mode.
Old 11-09-2016, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by powerranger262
Those are just a few things, that are common issues on these trucks.
FPDM - Fuel pump driver module. Mounted to the rear crossmember, and tends to corrode out on the backside, and let moisture in. Causes all kinds of goofy issues.
What I mean about the foam is, when you undo the two clips to slide the tray out, there should be a foam seal, on the tray itself. If it's gone, you can make a new seal out of weatherstripping. The peel and stick kind.
Chances are, that you need plugs, or a coil-on-plug, but these are also a few things to look at.
The reason I said a MAF and throttle body cleaning, is because I had the exact same problem as you, and after doing those two things, and a new fuel filter, my truck was cured. Mine actually got so bad, that it went into limp mode.
Oh ok I gotcha, I'll check it out. As far as the foam your taking baout can that cause an issue because mine is almost gone? Also does anybody know what the price is to have your plugs and coils changed. I'm scared I have the originals and that they're going to all break off if I do it myself and that's a headache I don't need right now. Thanks

Search this Thread